Temperamental Indicators

emmagater

My indicators have suddenly become temperamental in that they sometimes work and sometimes don't. When they don't work, the exterior lights don't go, the light on the dash doesn't work and there is no 'clicking' noise. However, it can literally be a case of turning the indicator off and on again in order to get it to work.

I'm presuming there's a loose connection or something rather than it needing a new fuse but is anyone able to tell me what I might need to do to fix it without taking it to a garage? (if that's possible)

Thanks!

It sounds like you've encountered a fairly common A2 trait of a dicky indicator relay.

I warrant that the hazard lights will work ok?

The only real solution is to fit a new relay - £30 or thereabouts plus labour, or you can do the work yourself.

Do a search for indicator relay - there's loads of info on these pages.

Cheers,

Mike

I had exactly this problem on my S4, seemed ok for a while then indicators packed up all together, as suggested, a new hazard switch with built in indicator relay from vag parts resolved the problem.

It's a common problem across the Audi range. I've replaced two so far on my Allroad. On the AR, it sits behind the hazzard light switch and is a reasonable DIY.

Not sure about the A2 as I haven't thad to tackle that yet.

As pointed out before indicator relay is a common problem, my has been changed as well. But what I'd like to know is whether there is relay version with three clicks when switch just touched.
Read the thread that spike gave link to and also have been doing some search on vagcat, but no success.
Any ideas ?
Thx

Cheers

Last edited:
You mean the 'comfort' one touch feature?

Unfortunately not, well, not one that would fit the A2. There is an upgrade (if you can call it that) available for the Golf4, which may well be able to be grafted into the A2 system.

I've never been a fan of this, since getting hopelessly and interminably lost in a left/right situation in a Vauhall Astra courtesy car.

Cheers,

Mike

You mean the 'comfort' one touch feature?

Unfortunately not, well, not one that would fit the A2. There is an upgrade (if you can call it that) available for the Golf4, which may well be able to be grafted into the A2 system.

I've never been a fan of this, since getting hopelessly and interminably lost in a left/right situation in a Vauhall Astra courtesy car.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey Mike
Thx 4 the infos

Yes, one touch and must say that I've driven the new Vectra and indicators are not much driver friendly. On the other side, Audi's switch is still mechanical which allows you to feel whether you switched it on or just touched for 3 clicks. Tried the feature at an A3, it's works good. Also found out that Polo has the feature, so I'm planning to adjust Polo's indicator relay to A2.
If it turns out to be possible and working I'll put on some info...

Cheers

Last edited:
Back