Temporarily by-passing FSI oil cooler

Ajeeja

Have a coolant drip leak at hose connection with oil cooler. Although I have yet to make the strip-down investigation, I suspect it might be a split in the oil cooler pipe itself. If it is, dear members, could I disconnect the oil cooler from the cooling system, either by by-passing it with a U connector (harder) or simply by blocking off both hoses (easier) - which option would depend on whether the oil cooler was connected in parallel to the main circulatory system (block possible) or in series with something else that needs that feed (by pass only).
My thought is that the oil cooler will only be necessary when driven in sport mode, and I can drive it in non-sport, captain slow mode (always below 4000rpm), until I can work out a permanent solution.
An exploded view is available at
The oil cooler is marked 48, the hoses 13, 11. The problem is at 13, with part number 8Z0 121 056A, and can't find any on ebay or any stockist that has it. Anyone have a spare?
Help please.

The only one I'd consider is the U connector, creating a loop to replicate the oil cooler. The problem is that we don't know the resistance to flow, (head in hydraulic terms), that the cooler has. If it's a low resistance path, then looping it out maybe OK. But if it's high resistance, replacing it with a low resistance path may change flow rates around the engine.
Have a look at Audi Tradition, maybe available there?
Mac.

Many thanks for the well-informed answer. (Great forum.) It's helped to persuade me that I ought to go see where the problem is, hose or pipe. Cheers.

Many thanks for the well-informed answer. (Great forum.) It's helped to persuade me that I ought to go see where the problem is, hose or pipe. Cheers.
If possible, clean the oil cooler flow path. Sludge build up may cause overpressure at the inlet, hence leak.
Mac.

Back