The A2 is tempting!

Churchy

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

In need of a 'new' car as my wife is doing a return trip to Wokingham from Andover each day for work (80 mile round trip mostly motorway). I want to stay 'German' as we have an S4 and a Corrado (going into storage!). Obviously in the current climate economy is the key so have been researching the A2 for a month or so now and like all others finding the one with the right spec seems tricky. However the TDI or FSI (linked to the cost of diesel at the moment) seem most attractive.

Looking for pano roof, bose and a Sport model ideally with a limit of 8k to spend.

Poss going to look at a few this weekend (if they stay around that long!) so after people's honest opinion really.

Most private for sales seem highly priced compared with Parkers price guide for example? Although Parkers give a good review for the A2 most owners reviews on there seem mixed to say the least!?

We also have a dog (fairly big!) so just wondering if anyone regularly uses their A2 for trips with dog on board?

I have a local mechanic for servicing etc so can stay away from Audi dealers thankfully but am slightly concerned over reading some owners stories about general cost of repairs and maintenance.

In a dilemma so any guidane would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Churchy
(great forum by the way!)

I carry my 6 stone flatcoat retreiver in mine without many problems, the main concern I had is my dog has a hip problem so sometimes he finds jumping up and into the car hurts his hip, the floor is quite high and lifting him in as I ocasionally have to is difficult. The price guides are behind the market for A2's in my experience and at the end of the day a commodity is worth what someone will pay for it as we all know with oil prices at present!

I would try and find one with open sky but the standard sound is quite good ( bear in mind the sub woofer on the Bose is directly underneath where your 'woofer' will sit!). My previous A6 Avant had Bose and I found base notes from the rear speaker often upset my dog.

Hi, my wife has owned an A2 for about 5 years and for the last three our large german shepherd has travelled on the rear seats, with a doggie seatbelt. I've just traded in a diesel Merc E class saloon for an A2, and although I'm sure that the dog preferred to travel in the back of the Merc, the A2 is fine. We do get strange looks from people though when he jumps out!!

Several companies do great seat protectors which are essential.

As for economy (I have a 110 mile commute to the office a couple of times a week, plus national travel), I am saving over £50 per week on fuel. The fuel/tax/insurance/service savings will more than pay for the cost of the A2 over a three year period.

Happy? 1000 miles in two weeks and very happy. Cruise (Audi dealer fitted) was essential to smooth the move from an auto/cruise car to the A2.

Thanks folks for speedy replies! An A2 it is then - the search continues and the only decision left to make will be whether a good looking TDI or FSI appears for sale this week.

I think the decision was sealed when I passed 2 FSI's and a TDI on the M4 on Wednesday evening - all between Bristol and Swindon - the drivers all seemed happy enough!

Hi Churchy,

Just sent you a PM - please give me a call if you want a test ride in a tdi 90. It might help you with the decision process. I'm based just of J11 M4 so very near to you.

I've already helped 2 members here buy A2's so feel free to give me a shout if you want a second opinion on a car.

Cheers

Chris

Yes they're great !

I've had my A2 1.4TDI for a week almost and absoloutely loving it.. I would've filled up my old car by now and only used half a tank of diesel !

The only thing I would say is - don't use parkers for prices - that is the mistake I made. The trade don't use it - they use Glass's guide so if you are serious about buying a particular car - pay the £~3 for a valuation - it's well worth it for the bargaining power it gives you !

thanks all - GEXX have pm'd you and Kate yes I found Glass shortly after posting so maybe this is more reliable? According to this the particular A2 I am looking at is overpriced but hey ho nothing beats a bit of friendly bartering!

thanks again for all advice.

Well we purchased the 2003 silver FSI last night and completed the 2 hour journey back from the vendors - mpg wise only made a little dent in the full tank of unleaded!

So far so good and fingers crossed for miles of happy driving!:)

Poss looking for the following now which are missing from an otherwise spotless A2!

1. Original floor mats and 1 set of fixings that sit in the floor pan / carpet.
2. First aid kit and warning triangle

Best to buy from dealer?

Also poss after an original bootliner but these seem to be rare?!

Thanks to all for the advice over the last few weeks it was very much appreciated.

stafford audi advertise on ebay for the first aid kits
mats are of two kinds rubber or cloth.
rubber are £27 for the front new,
ebay have cloth ones every so often.
just dpends n you want the color on offer;)

Back