The A2 used car market is definitely smaller than it was...

Darren C

Admin Team
I've been keeping a watchful eye on the Autotrader adverts for the past 6 years on and off. The current market of 18 is by far the lowest I personally recall seeing. There were 50 plus advertised regularly back in 2016. I'd guess another few years and we could be down to single digit sales, with low numbers firmly helping to establish the A2 as that rare and classic beast we know and love.

Pricing seems to be on the up too, I know to a degree that this mirrors the used car market in general, but nonetheless, it is encouraging. Strong residuals are often associated with desirability and classic status.

I doubt any of us bought an A2 as an investment, not many cars return one, but there could be money in the A2 in time, especially pertinent to those who own more than one or a fleet of them. :)

For now, I'll continue to bask in the rarity factor and the fabulous innovative aluminium package that makes these little cars so very special (the community too).

I know it's very rare for a nice well spec'd A2 to come on the market these days, yes there are nice low mileage examples still popping up but when was the last time you saw an all singing all dancing A2 being advertised?

So what you're telling me is keep hold of my fleet of Votex kitted cars 😉 That works for me 🤣

That is exactly what I'm telling you mate. What a cracking fleet you have. All those Votex kits are worth a premium as stand-alone products, let alone with the quality of A2s that come with them.

This time next year Iain...

Unknown.jpeg

I know it's very rare for a nice well spec'd A2 to come on the market these days, yes there are nice low mileage examples still popping up but when was the last time you saw an all singing all dancing A2 being advertised?

So what you're telling me is keep hold of my fleet of Votex kitted cars 😉 That works for me 🤣

One factor is that the car prices gone up by a LOT as well, so many owners stick with their cars longer than they had planned it before, purchasing cars gone down too, but the over inflation counters the money loss.

I am sure the A2 will be a classic/Collectible car in time, I am afraid I have reduced my fleet from 6 to 3, looking to sell one more Fsi & just keep the 2 blacks with red leather interiors ( 1 Fsi & 1 Tdi ).
I also have been looking at the A2 market & its definitely shrinking.

Do you think that the A2 is still largely on par with most modern small and compact cars in regard to fuel economy, build quality and safety?

Yes, to all three largely. Build quality is the finest I've ever seen for a small premium hatch. Over engineered and without the limitations and cost cutting of the current breed.

The space frame and robustness it helps to provide to the cars durability has withstood some pretty nasty incidents based on those I've seen. Occupant safety is therefore very good, further bettered on those with the optional side-guard airbag system.

Whilst some of the engines were mainstream, the entire range is frugal, with the 1.2TDI being the cream here.

Do you think that the A2 is still largely on par with most modern small and compact cars in regard to fuel economy, build quality and safety?

There is 40 available on Facebook 😳
Is this a sign people are turning away from the usual sales sites to save on sales fees maybe? I’d definitely have 40 A2’s if I had the space and finances to cope! Although the mrs may not be so happy with that idea……….if the fuel prices continue to rise I can only see them coming up for sale less frequently as people realise the potential savings on running costs. I’d say grab a good one while you still can.

Is this a sign people are turning away from the usual sales sites to save on sales fees maybe?
I think this is exactly right.

Autotrader are expensive to advertise what are now relatively inexpensive cars, although it does attract a better quality of buyer rather than the 'idiots' you seem to get on the free or cheaper advertising sites such as FB Marketplace or Gumtree etc that want things for nothing and are hsppy to waste your time!👍

I too have noticed the lack of them on Autotrader, and eBay. The prices are rising too, but is that also down to the number being scrapped or written off? Is an A2 an investment? I think so, but more as a way to defer the inevitable plan to rid the roads of diesels and old cars. I don’t imagine we’ll see an A2 under the hammer at Christie’s…

Modern cars may be safer, more economical, but they cost more to produce are complex. Also the production of these EV’s are still using fossil fuels to extract lithium and other elements needed For battery production. For me, the hidden costs and damage to make this new tech, is the eco-warriors dirty little secret.

A half decent EV with an honest 150+ mile range is north of £30k. Even thought I‘ll be sinking the best part of £3k into my A2TDI, that’s equivalent of 6 months on a PCP contract. The A2 should last another 60-80,000 miles. Enough to take this amazing little car beyond 2030, and arguably much better for the environment, and my bank account.

An investment is expected to either increase in value, (growth), or provide an income, both over time.
An A2 that Is regularly driven, (and incurring tax, insurance, servicing and fuel costs), is not going to meet either definition of an investment (imo).
Alternatively, a good spec, lowish mileage A2, in good condition, dry stored indoors, (at a low cost), might (but, might not), provide growth.
With around 8,000 licensed, and more SORN'd, that growth will be a long time coming.
I'll stick with the one, and get the return I want: The pleasure of driving it, and of ownership.
Mac.

In my eyes my 1.2TDI is an investment, since it has earned it's price back from fuel savings alone.
It is often considered as investment to buy a tool that is more efficient. Spending less for same result = extra income. And it has kept it's own price if i'd need to part from it.

I would not buy it to be put in a garage as investment, but i would not mind another one hanging around outside :D

Have been checking listings for 1.2 sometimes and currently i'd have much harder time getting one that suits by price/condition.

Back