The essential options

Status
Not open for further replies.

viffer

Hello all,

I'd welcome your opinions on the must-have A2 options. What couldn't you live without, what do you wish you'd ordered etc.

My possible options list (on a TDi special edition which comes with climate control and Concert II CD player as standard) is:
Metallic silver
Red leather - standard not sports seats
OpenSky
Bose
Leather steering wheel 4-spoke

Note this means I'm going for weedy 15" wheels...

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Richard.

4c80.jpg

2001 Avus RS4. Standard 380bhp.

The must haves in my opinion are:
- Metallic paint
- Climate Control
- Sports Seats

Quite nice options:
- Multi CD player
- DIS
- Winter pack

Over-priced options IMO (no offence intended to those that have these)
- OpenSky
- Bose
- Sports Pack
- Sat Nav
- Side air bag curtain (should be standard)

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Hi viffer,
Some of the essential items i chose were child essential - Isofix and the curtain AirBags (and i agree with Will these should have been standard)

The other option i feel as a must have is the winter package for the heated jets.

2005 Special.

If you are thinking of getting an iPod forget the multi CD. I have a front loading Symphony II 6 disc and NEVER use it anymore as all my music is on the iPod. DIS also a must I have to say, the range to empty on a a tank is invaluable. BOSE I have but can do without, but then I have never really cranked up a non-BOSE car so will probably miss it! OpenSky I can't live without either. Few cars give you such a great airy feeling inside as this option. Just take the mesh screen out and store in your shed (as I did)! Opens it up appreciably. Do a search in the archives and you will find the pictures of it. Another thing everyone that has it say they can't live without (which I don't have) is rear parking sensors. Next time I do an A2 they are definitely on the list.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

DIS
Rear parking sensors
Cruise control, greatly assists fuel consumption and is great on long M way drives.
Climate control
Side air bags (should be standard)
Steering wheel radio controls, I was told that I would get it, but didn't. My son has it on the Micra, well worth it.
Winter pack
Leather, I've got a dog so no residual dog hairs
Open sky, cos it looks better, and gives you a heart attack everytime you open it, wondering if it close again!
I use a portable sat nav, better for when you sell the car.

Will is about spot on. I would add electric rear windows, sounds a bit odd, especially with cc, but some days you just want the windows open! With the rear windows open, doesn't mess up the hair to much! I have a sport and I LOVE my stupid kerb clippy wheels. Also, I didn't get a 40/60 split rear seat, had a bench instead. Next time will have the split.

Make sure you are getting the luggage cover, was an extra in mine!

How about fog lights, I have never used them, well only to remind others on the road who constantly leave them on coz they think it looks cool. Never the less, still like the look of them!

I have leather interior with sports seats, have always had cloth in the past but I am a convert to leather now.

I would have liked Bose, but hey, you have to aspire to something!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

I have just the floor mat set as an extra on my base model (no climate or met paint) 1.6FSi! It was a pre-registered vehicle offered at a good price; however the only extras I considered were leather steering wheel, single CD player & 'satellite' trim.
It seemed to me that the other features just added weight, cost & were more to go wrong. Not having experienced the options I can't say I miss them.
I can see that lack of extras will make unattractive when selling on, however.

Luddite, Stone Age driver

They do say however the cars with the best residuals are the base models. I think I've read a few members saying when they traded in their A2s the dealers offer little or no more for cars with many extras.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Will,

I think you're right about lower spec models, with the proviso that cars having a spec lower than a "good average" for that type of car are tricky to sell to a dealer because he knows they will hang around for ages. For example try trading in a Porsche 996 without SatNav or a BMW 5-series without leather and you'll wish you had paid the price of that option in the first place.

Back in the real world a base A2 is these days well equipped for a small car (CD, climate, alloys, decent safety kit in the form of ABS, ESP, airbags) so you're probably right that a base model will lose you the least money.

But since when have cars been investments?

Cheers, Richard.

4c80.jpg

2001 Avus RS4. Standard 380bhp.

Cars are an investment......just ones that are guaranteed to drop ;)

Viffer

Suggest you add the following options to your list :-
Parking sensors, DIS, Lumbar support and possibly the 3 spoke sports wheel. Heated mirrors are also worthwhile but these can be retro-fitted at reasonable cost with a good saving over the winter pack. (You will miss out on the heated washer jets but I have always found them to be a waste of time)

I have the Open Sky roof and find it very noisy above about 45 mph. It looks great but I rarely open it because of the noise.
I also have Bose but don't think it's worth the cash. If possible you should try a car with these options fitted then make up your own mind

Regards Spike

Heated door mirrors

We're about to take delivery of an A2 2004 TDI 90 Sport which, unfortunately, does not have the Winter Pack.

From what I have read on the Forum, am I correct in thinking that I can get replacement mirror glass with elements and simply swop these for the current mirror glass?

Is the A2 already wired for heated mirrors?

How do these operate? on the same switch as the heated rear window?

I realise I won't have heated washer jets but you can't have everything!!

Thanks for your help!

Trebor

Absolutely right Trebor. A straight swap with the wiring already in the mirror housing.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Thanks Rob, for confirming my thoughts.
Already got the dealer on the case and hope to get the replacement mirrors FOC!
Trebor

A2 1.4 TDI 90bhp Sport, 2004, Cobalt Blue, Climate Control, DIS, Sport seats, Body Kit

If the dealer isn't forthcoming, the next best place is VAGparts, found here - http://www.vagparts.com/

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

quote:Originally posted by trebor1759

I realise I won't have heated washer jets but you can't have everything!!

Trebor
heated washer jets: 8Z0 955 987C and 987E.
prob. £8 each.

have to check the wiring, try searching "beheizbaren waschdüsen" in the german site..

Bret

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
2002, Petrol 1.4, 17", sports suspension, OpenSky, leather / alcantara in iceblue
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I've had no luck with the heated mirrors as the dealer has informed me that the car is not already wired up for heated mirrors!

Trebor

A2 1.4 TDI 90bhp Sport, 2004, Cobalt Blue, Climate Control, DIS, Sport seats, Body Kit

shezlee, thanks for your comments.
I think the dealer may be mistaken and I guess it is wired already!
Are the mirrors easy to get off, need any special tools?
Trebor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back