The famous bad sounds when steering

Jossi

Hi.
My A2 1.4 petrol 115 000 km.
At 10 ooo the anti roll bar vertical bars where changed. But now the sound has changed more to "old sprouts in a mattress" when turning steeringwheel at slow speed.
The german A2 forum thinks that it could be the bearings at the top of sprout just under where the whole thing is fastened. about 10 cm diameter.
It is a weakness at A2 from start to 2002.

Jossi

Hi Jossi
Problems with the top suspension strut bearings appears to be quite rare on right hand drive cars (not sure why they should be any different to LHD models though) However, one of our members has just reported a noisy steering problem which could be caused by the strut bearings. We thought it may be a power steering fault but your suggestion is certainly worth checking out.

Not sure what you mean by 'old sprouts in a matress' Your English is always excellent but in this case I think something may have been lost in the translation. We have some very strange English sayings and phrases but nothing I can think of which matches this.

Cheers Spike

Hay Guys

Well guys no change so far....got up to nip into work on Sat was done by 9:20ish so decided to pop along to Audi premature to my Tuesday appointment for inital check. Was greeted by service department who told me there was no Master Tech's in/free today and only the "master tech's" can diagnose initial faults or sit in you car on a road test. So looks like il be down the Audi garage on Tuesday @ 8am for said "Master Tech" to kick all 4 tyres turn the steering wheel one revolution either way and listen every 1/4 to hear that somthing is clearly f*****.....then he has to book me in for repair....then wait for a slot with a courtesy car available. Go Audi! Go! All this efficiency still gets me late in for work.

Thanks for everyones interest Il keep postin!

Primea2

broken spring

When I was putting the car in the garage last night, I heard 'boing' noises as I applied full lock to the steering. When I drove out this morning, found what looks like the broken off end of a 100mm diameter coil spring. This is the 2nd spring to break in last 16 months. Where do Audi buy their springs from. Another expensive trip to the dealers...

Poor_John said:
When I was putting the car in the garage last night, I heard 'boing' noises as I applied full lock to the steering. When I drove out this morning, found what looks like the broken off end of a 100mm diameter coil spring. This is the 2nd spring to break in last 16 months. Where do Audi buy their springs from. Another expensive trip to the dealers...
I get clunking and boinging noises at full lock when manouvreing.. especially reversing uphil. Reckon it's worth getting it into Audi to see if something's up? Are such problems covered by warranty?

Ian

bad sounds

Sorry I use Lidls a lot, many of their tools seem to be identical to Bosch at half the price. A joke really. Try their frozen cream doughnuts , wow!

Reply to Ian

Hi Ian,

A clunking noise when moving with full lock on the steering wheel, can be a sign that you may have problems with CV joints. My boinging was experienced whilst the steering wheel was turned from lock to lock while the car was stationary. I can't advise about warranty, but I hope you are covered!

The part that went boing

Here is a photograph of the part that went boing, or should I say, what's left of it. Not a great photograph and it is probably upsidedown, but there is a bit about 75mm / 3 inches missing from the bottom end.

The front suspension on car doesn't quite bottom out as quickly as it did before, but I still feel that the suspension is running out of travel over bumps and that is what is causing the spring to break.

Did anyone read the letter to Honest John in Saturday's Daily Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, about how the design of the end of the spring can reduce breakages. If it hasn't been tidied away, I will dig it out.

Poor_John said:
The front suspension on car doesn't quite bottom out as quickly as it did before, but I still feel that the suspension is running out of travel over bumps and that is what is causing the spring to break.
We agree with your thoughts on the lack of travel. It doesn't take much of bump / depression in the road to induce a sharp bang which definitely sounds like bump stops.

We wondered if re-calibrated dampers might help? The fact that the car sometimes feels like its pitching and bobbing too much lends weight to this theory. Maybe, the stiffer Sports setup copes better? Or after marked dampers?

Back