The Joy of Open-Sky...

TallPaul

Well, I've had my A2 since July this year, and i've just had my first drive in nice chilly weather (showing +9dec C on the temp gauge) with the heater on and Open-Sky fully open, and what a feeling!! nice and toasty, yet with the stars, moon and city lighting passing by above [23] [33]

Quick question...how do I know if I have heated mirrors? it says in the handbook they come on automatically in cold/icy weather, do all A2's have these?

TP[33]

DSC_2115-04-1.jpg

2003 52 Ebony Black A2
1.6 FSI Sport, DIS, Open Sky, 6 CD Symphony II, Auto Climate, rear electric windows, 8 speakers, front fogs.

The heated mirrors came with the winter pack, together with the heated washerjets. I forget exactly, but when the temp falls below 5 deg they both come on automatically. I'm not sure how you would test to see if you have this option or not. Maybe wait for some cold weather and see if the mirrors feel warm.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Or take a mirror glass off and check if they are connected. The wiring should be there anyway and you can get the heated glass from Vag Parts if you want to retro fit.

Crystal Blue A2 TDi Sport. 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus. retro fit cruise. possible chip to come
thumb.jpg

I have the winter pack - and when I put the rear heated window element on - the heated mirrors kick in too. This was on Tuesday morning - and it was well above 5 degrees.

[img=left]http://www.drn.org/mrbenn-transp.png"[/img=left]

We are relatively new to Open Sky which was bought to avoid the noise of rain drumming on the aluminium roof! Ours makes a loud clunk as the second sheet of glass starts moving - is this normal?

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Winter Pack - heated mirrows work when temperature below 5 degrees or when rear wibdow heater is
switched on.

Metalic Silver, 1.4 TDI (90),SE,DIS,Sport Seats,Winter Pack,Head Light Washers, Open Sky, Air Con, Tow Bar,Acoustic Parking, Auto Dim Mirror

Sorry about the spelling sent by accident!

Open Sky The klunk noise you can hear is due to the lack of lubrication, what you need is a silicon spray from VW (part no. I will get this tonight when I get home).

Metalic Silver, 1.4 TDI (90),SE,DIS,Sport Seats,Winter Pack,Head Light Washers, Open Sky, Air Con, Tow Bar,Acoustic Parking, Auto Dim Mirror

Yeah mine does the clunk thing too, i got it adjusted and lubed at a dealer a month or so ago, but its returned, seesm to be one of those re-occuring niggles!

Oh, and i checked my mirrors....No heating :(
But two little wires with the connecters [33] I'll have a word with VAG parts before the winter gets here properly!

DSC_2115-04-1.jpg

2003 52 Ebony Black A2
1.6 FSI Sport, DIS, Open Sky, 6 CD Symphony II, Auto Climate, rear electric windows, 8 speakers, front fogs.

If you keep the rubber seals lubricated then the clonk will not ocur. Thats what I do and no problems I use light 3 in one but I am sure there is some better stuff which can be used.

1.4 PETROL A2 BLACK WITH OPEN SKY AND REAR BENCH SEAT

VW Silicon-Lubricant-Spray Part no. D 007 000 A2
used to lubricate the open sky.

Thanks - Hacve some silicon spray at home so will look at it tonight.

Ian

1.4 Petrol Special Edition, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys for SWMBO (Replaced a 2002 1.4 Petrol SE) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

How can I dry the mirrors when is raining? And... if it is above 5 deg.?

A2 RSline 1.4 Sky|Nav+|Winter|ABT

Switch the rear demister on. The mirror's work with that. You can switch that on at any temperature.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Re. the rain drumming that ianjohnsonws14 mentioned - does everyone else with an A2 get that? (if they don't have OpenSky...) I always assumed that they did...until a friend bought one, and he swears blind that his DOESN'T...

Hope this isn't too far off thread. I did a search, and this is the only reference I could find anywhere on the site to rain drumming. I don't exactly mind the noise - I find it adds to the cars character - but I'd want to sort it out if I thought that it was specific to mine, and it probably does discourage me from more longer journeys in it.

pmj said:
Re. the rain drumming that ianjohnsonws14 mentioned - does everyone else with an A2 get that? (if they don't have OpenSky...) I always assumed that they did...until a friend bought one, and he swears blind that his DOESN'T...

Hope this isn't too far off thread. I did a search, and this is the only reference I could find anywhere on the site to rain drumming. I don't exactly mind the noise - I find it adds to the cars character - but I'd want to sort it out if I thought that it was specific to mine, and it probably does discourage me from more longer journeys in it.
My first A2 suffered this 'problem' (or characteristic), which is why I spec'ed Tank with OpenSky.

It pretty much stems from the large expanse of aluminium on the roof, which is undamped, apart from the headliner. It only happens with big droplets, such as dripping off trees, or when it really hammers it down and the way to get rid of it is to stick some Dynamat up there.

Cheers,

Mike

I have open sky and so have never experienced the noise of rain on the aluminium roof. What puzzles me is the fact that the aluminium pressing for the roof is thicker material than for the equivalent steel. There is a law called the Mass Law which effectively states "half the mass, double the noise". So although the aluminium is lighter to reach the same strength more than the equivalent of steel needs to be used meaning that aluminium parts are quieter, normally, I add. It may be that Audi reckoned that they could save on some sound proofing under the roof.

Thanks, Mike.

Can you say a bit more about what Dynamat is, and how and where to fix it? (or point me in the right direction to find out)? Cheers.

Mark - At first I thought it was just because of the properties of Al. But after living with it for a while, I'm wondering if it's also to do with the car being a space frame and not a monocoque, and / or because of the shape of the roof, which is almost like a flat sheet, naturally bending to follow the line of the roof rails. Does the roof actually flex or resonate under the impact?

My guess is that compared with a monocoque, the non-open sky A2 roof is much less strong than that of a normal car, even before allowing for the weight saving from using Aluminium, because it isn't structural. So your formula would explain the noise. But I don't really know - I'm just guessing here.

I'm interested if anyone has a better explanation

Dynamat is a sound deading self adehisve sheet. you can buy it in rolls or in packs form halfords or car audio stockists. If you going to do the roof buy a roll on ebay as the door kit packs and rolls in shops will work out quite expensive. Applictaion is best using hot air gun and a roller becuase the heat makes the sheet shrink to shape. If you dont do that you may find bits of trim difficult to get back on. for difficult areas use small pieces pushed together as smaller pieces are easier to work with.

Thanks for that.

I'm discovering that I don't even know that there's stuff I don't know about how to get the best out of this car. After driving it for 5 years.

Back