Third gear crunch

Just had a long life service, new cambelt and water pump, front discs and pads and waddya know?

I am now having difficulty selecting third gear. My car has done a fair few miles (116000) but it was fine before the service. I wonder if they changed the oil and my 'box doesn't like it (he says hopefully)

Anyone care to point me in the right direction for the best oil to try in the 'box first?

If it's the worst case scenario - any ideas on the cost of a recon box & fitting?

I really don't want to have to get rid of my car as I love it to bits and have just spent small fortune on it

It does sound as if a worn synchromesh is a possibility.

As an interim have you tried the double declutch technique?

Unlikely but its worth checking if they changed the oil.
Its a long shot but as cambelt replacement involves dropping the front of the engine slightly its possible the gear selector settings have been disturbed. Follow the attached youtube video and you may be able to check this yourself for free - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13062

Cheers Spike

.... or even possible that a tool or empty box or something else has inadvertently been left lying around the change mechanism on the gearbox. Worth a quick look for foreign objects before suspecting the worst!! :eek:

I still need some help here guys. I went to have a go at adjusting my gear cables and got this far: Took the bonnet of and had a look at the cables on the gearbox end - check

Raised the gearstick gaiter until it was inside out and wouldn't go up any further - check.

Looked at the base of the gearstick and it has its own rubber type 'thingy' all around that needs to be removed before you can get to the locking holes for the gearstick.

It would appear that the centre console (the bit below the ashtray) needs to be removed before you can get access to the gearstick.

Now if I'm wrong please shout. If you do have to remove it has anyone here had to do it who could share their knowledge?

I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Phil

Can I bump the above question, as I tried this too and become stuck at the same point.

Thanks

Didn't I read somwehere that Mike (Skipton1) says to cut the rubber gaiter with a sharp knife and either leave it after the job is done, or glue it back up with superglue or something?

DON'T DO THIS UNTIL IT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED THOUGH !!!

Cheers,

You just make a hole in the 'gasket' rubber thing around the base of the gear stick in about the 8 o'clock position to access the two locking holes.

This was the advice given to me by our very own Skipton.

Phil

Yes, that's right (sorry for absence - been shooting again!).

Just lift the gaiter and make a little incision in the rubber boot underneath at the nearest to the passenger seat side.

This can then be stretched to enable you to see the 2 locating holes that you need to line up to do the gear adjustment.

On a separate note, if it's just the one gear that's being awkward, it does sound more like a synchro problem - FHL has this at present on 4th gear and I've done around 4-5 gear cable adjustments trying to get things just right, but it seems in vain.

Cheers,

Mike

Back