Tomorrow I go to court

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
for a speeding indiscretion..... I accept I was bl88dy stupid to be doing (allegedly) 62 in a 30 area. If anyone knows the dual carriageway tunnel under Leeds Bradford airport I am sure they will be surprised this is a 30 limit as much as everyone I mention it to is. Annoying thing is I had just got back to 'nul' points on my license by 6 weeks.

I had borrowed a Mazda6 from work that evening as my A2 was having warranty work done and the dealer didn't have a courtesy car available. In overtaking some slow and meandering commercial traffic I simply hadn't realised how quickly the speed had biult up by the time I reached the tunnel exit and there was Mr Policeman. I pulled up immediately ( I had stopped before the police car had moved) as it was pretty obvious what would happen if I didn't and said I' know I have been a bit stupid' to the man in uniform.

I have pleaded guilty and it is my first time I have had any dealings with the law from the 'wrong' side. I am also putting forward various mitigating curcumstances to try and avoid a ban ( health being a major issue, I have Crohns disease which leaves me pretty exhausted at times). Any other suggestions as to how to minimise the likelyhood of a ban without attempting to take the pi...micheal out of the legal process?

I once claimed to be newly qualified with a new job and it would hurt our family finances especially as my wife is a NURSE and we need a car for the logistics of dropping her at work and doing the eschool run etc, the clerk of the court claimed she was a bit pissed off that the penalties lack consistency she felt I had got off lightly with a two week ban and £180 fine. this was for doing some serious speed over 100, I think it also helped that we stressed it was a unmarked car that appeared to be racing us - the two cars he pulled, Police in a navy blue Lexus 430, my opponent in a Lexus convertible V8 and me in an Octavia VRS - very quick car

My other half went to court for a speeding ticket last year - same thing really 30 limit on a dual carriageway , no schools, houses, etc. He went along a listened to all the cases before and found that everyone always started by apologising and saying that it was not their intention to speed and commit an offence - must have been the thing to say!

He got 3 points rather than 6 so maybe it helped?

It might be a bit strange if I sack myself, being a director of the company has some advantages!

I have a neighbour who is a magistrate and had some good advice. I accept totally I was stupid and in hindsight should have been less impatient to overtake the vehicles in question ( two meandering trucks both towing trailers). This is included in my statement I will read out to the court.

My 'beef' isn't with the policeman or magistrates. It is with a system that finds it more acceptable to have me in court for speeding or arrest someone for kidnap :rolleyes: when making a citizens arrest of a toerag of a 10 year old (yes, really:confused:) all Instead of ignoring the PC brigade and giving the dross of this world a hard time.

Hi Adrian888,

Have you been to this site http://www.pepipoo.com/ ?

They have good advise and the forums are generally helpful. There must be many people in similar situation to you, I suggest you take a look and see what people did and what's the result. But I agree, you may not have much to argue.

Back