Towbar

Gexx

Right! I've decided to get a towbar for the A2. Firstly to pull a motorbike trailer to events and secondly to mount a bike rack on the back.

I'm getting it done at Swindon Audi as Reading does not want to know - and Swindon seemed to get some good reviews in the serviceing dept.

The cost is going to be £580 fitted - ouch!

Anyone have any recommendations for a 2 bike towbar mounted rack?

cheers

I've no recommendations for a trailer, but that is actually a very good price for the towbar - it was a £500 option from the factory and I'm sure that it'll take more than 1 hours labour.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Gexx

Fellow club member, the doctor (wonder if he rides a Moto GP bike at weekends) posted this link to Thurle roof bars and bike racks a while ago.
I don't know anyone who has tried one but the towbar mounted racks look the business.
http://www.autorack.co.uk/bike_racks.php

Cheers Spike

bike rack

We use a Thule 9403 tow ball mounted cycle carrier. It carries 3 cycles, but you can get one that carries 2. Ours cost about £100. We modified it so it could carry a kite buggy, which weighs about 20kg and the carrier causes no problems at all.

I've already posted pictures of the carrier in use, do a wee search for towbar and you should find them :)

I use a cheap bike rack I got at Towsure you can find them on the net. Cheap and cheerfull. I did see a post on here with a link to an ebay shop, I think, with an aluminium rack that folded down so you could still get in the boot. cost £158 from memory. Look worth further investigation although may not be worth the price.

I must say that I was surprised to hear you say that you were getting the tow bar fitted after the car has been bought.

I was led to believe that a modification was made to the rear part of the chassis plus minor changes to the electrics and that this could only be done from factory which is why I had mine fitted from new.. this is interesting..

mine was fitted by Audi preston when I brought it in October. Made a neat looking job. It did take over a day to fit and there was only on of the fitters who could do it. Cost £600:eek:

Does this aftermarket towbar fold out of sight like the one fitted from new.. I am just amazed that I was told by Indespension that they were not allowed to fit one to my car and that it had to be fitted from new.. ohh wll..

The one being fitted is the genuine Audi one. I will post pics when it has been carried out.

As I understand it there is no after market towbar for an A2.

The only type approved towbar is the genuine Audi one eith factory fitted or fitted by the dealer.

I had a quote of over £600 for one and decided to give it a miss.

I had a removeable one fitted to my A6 for half that.

Mine is the proper Audi item. The electrics fold up into the bumper and the hook part unlocks and goes in the boot or wherever. Even came with gloves!

Well the towbar is fitted and I am $585 lighter. The price does seem to be expensive, but when you see 3 audi techs milling around the back of your car for 4 hours it must make a dent in their profits.

The towbar mount is fantastic, it sits under the back bit of the bumper and is next to invisible. To use it you get the towbar out of the boot, reach under the car and pull down a flap. Simply insert the towbar into the hole and it clunk locks into place. Then remove the key and the towbar is fitted. The electrics are to the left and again just have to be pulled down.

However, the tech did say that I would lose some MPG as the bumper mount is heavy compared to the aluminium one taken out. I will monitor this and report back.

Now I don't know if it is me but the car does seem noticably different to drive. Can anyone else with the towbar fitted give me their opinion!

Last edited:
havent got a towbar but felt the weight of one and it it very heavy may be all that weight at the back end will make it drive different like having a sack of spuds in the boot

cheers
robin

Back