Tower of woe

Bernie

So my selector tower was slopping about all over,gears became almost impossible, removed old bearings and replaced, then locking pin broke ,now tower wont move anywhere ! Up down left or right ! What the hell is going on?

Crikey, sounds frustrating.

What gearbox code is it?
I've got a parts car but haven't taken the towers out yet to pick the best of the two.
I don't know enough about towers.
I should have a bit of time free later this evening to assess the towers & gearboxes I have and will pass the info on to you

So my selector tower was slopping about all over,gears became almost impossible, removed old bearings and replaced, then locking pin broke ,now tower wont move anywhere ! Up down left or right ! What the hell is going on?
diesel or petrol engine? This will have a major bearing on what replacement options are possible

The one I have is for a petrol gearbox.

20240205_185532.jpg20240205_190125.jpg20240205_185539.jpg

Used an M8 spine bit to remove the 2 bolts.
20240205_190512.jpg
If you require this tower you can have it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,yeah its 05 Tdi 75 the locking pin broken after removal, only took the top part off!??
im stumped , will take it all off tomorrow, weather dependent.:rolleyes:

Well i pulled the tower out and taken top section off, the bearings just all collapsed over the floor !!! ???
The seal and bearings were in a box when i got the car, could they be the wrong size???

Might be as well with a new tower - I got one recently from AutoDoc for sensible enough money for my 1.4 petrol as it wouldn't go into reverse - it was only £68 delivered and has transformed the car!

They are different i believe - the link above was for a TDI one but you can select which engine and gearbox in AuitoDoc just to be sure

Well guys i have just received my replacement Tower from Autodoc, yes i selected for a Tdi.
With alittle help from BelleekBeetle, im just alittle stuck as to which and how to fit the reversing switch?
Anyone done this?

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: GCK
Well this is not good news, the parts on Autodoc seem to be just for the petrol version, after looking at Rotifer`s picture above
and going back to Autodac to check,this is the same part.

Just spoke to Audi Manchester, they said tower came in two sections ,but only the top is available now and they have stop production
in 2021?

Back