Track Rod End Ball Joint Boots?

manhattan$

Past Member
It looks like my car requires two new boots on the track rod ends.

Has anyone used the splittable boots? Any recommendations on which ones to purchase?

Thanks.

Please let me know how easy these are to fit Paul and if a tracking is necessary afterwards. It mentions in the ad that these track rod ends are for A2,s with electro - hydraulic steering. I take it ours have got this system ?.

Ta
Dave
:)

Hi Dave,
Yes i emailed them to confirm that they are correct for the A2.

They are coming from a German ebay seller, as i couldn't find a UK supplier for these for a similar price. Even eurocarparts didnt seem to have them.

There are a few good videos on youtube on fitting.

It looks like removal is the following.

Remove wheel
Loosen pinch bolt (if the A2 has one)
Loosen rod locking nut
Remove ball joint bolt
Remove pinch bolt
Lever out the ball joint
Undo the rod end and count how many turns (write this down)

Reverse to fit.

I would guess 30mins to an hour each side?

I will let you know if i come across any problems.

I normally mark the nut and rod at the top with tipex and then loosen the lock nut half a turn , unwind track rod end from the arm and reassemble with the new one until it touches the nut, then back off quarter aturn and tighten the nut fully which will be roughly the same place so the trackings not too far out, and will drive straight. but it will need the tracking setting up profesionally as you can never get it exact, and then theres the wear in the old track rod ends to consider as well.

most tyre places do a free tracking check but charge £30 ish to adjust if needed:( lol

Regards Gary

Thanks for the tips Gary!

Luckily i have a Concorde garage down the road and they do a offer on their App for half price tracking for £15.

Bought track rod end dust covers from e bay last year simple job to fit did track rod end & drop links, you do need to know which size dust cover. and there is no need to remove track rod. just undo nut part way, hit with copper hammer to break joint, remove dust cover put on new cover and rubber o rings x 2.

New Meyle HD rod ends fitted.

The old ones had to be cut off due to the allen key thread being too corroded.

Easy to fit the new ones though!

Sorry Dave, no pics as my hands were covered in grease/oil at the time

Its quite straight forward though. The hardest part is if the old part is too corroded to remove the nut, then its hacksaw time!

Did this job last weekend before the MOT. Never mind hacksaws... the allen key was goosed, so out came the angle grinder. Fitted Meyle parts... I don't want to be looking this for another 4 years. Note the cut on the rubber dust sleeve. New parts are very robust.

Sprays Duck Oil penetrating release on the tie road a couple of days before attempting the job. Wire brush the nuts and dry off. 18mm and 19mm and 21mm spanners required.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Old thread but wondering if meyle hd tie rod ends have been discontinued? Anyone got meyle hd part number handy I could do a search on?

Fitting new poly boots tomorrow but the workshop manual does not state the torque for the ball joint nut. Anyone know this please.

Track Rod Ball Joint.jpg

Have a look at Sarge,s torque settings list Alan. I think it shows 50 newton metres......

Have a look at Sarge,s torque settings list Alan. I think it shows 50 newton metres......

Thanks Dave. I've been looking a YT videos. Many don't torque :( However, one for a Skoda (which listed other VW models including A2 as similar) said 20 Nm + 90 degrees. I think I trust Sarge more.

Looking at this thread I see there is mention of needing an Allen key but often they round off. Then it's complete ball joint end replacement. I hope my nut comes off without recourse to using a key.

Back