TT MFSW Retrofit

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, as some of you will know, and others have actually seen, I have retro-fitted a new-style Audi TT 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel into Tank.

The only problem I have is that the buttons don't actually work with the A2 MFSW controller, because, in their wisdom, Audi decided to change the specifications of the LIN bus protocol (a slower version of CAN bus) between the old style wheel with 6 buttons and the new style ones with thumb rollers!

So, the upshot is that I may well have to retro fit an A4 steering column into Tank, so that I can fit the new style control modules!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Mike

Well, I've got my A4 steering column out of the garage (knew it'd come in handy!) to have a look at the physical implications of fitting it to Tank. It would appear to be quite possible, but may not be necessary.

On studying ELSA, it seems that the MFSW part of the steering column electronics module is pretty much self contained - about 3 pre- and post-ignition feeds, an earth feed and the CAN high and low bus wires are all that are needed, plus the 3 wires to the wheel itself (which are already in).

So, I may be able to just fit the steering column module from the new TT (which is actually an A4 part), as long as it doesn't interfere with any existing control modules present as standard (as the new module also looks after indicators, wipers, cruise and steering angle sensing, there may be some errors thrown up).

Here's hoping - now, where is my soldering iron?!!

Cheers,

Mike

Quite easy to see who's the Tech.dir around these parts :cool:

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Back