Turned around completely..... what would you recommend ?

true-blue

Having had my A2 up for sale and then withdrawing it, I've now decided that when my company car comes up for renewal in May I'm going to 'opt out' and buy a second A2 :D

In a nutshell, I do around 20,000 miles per year so can't decide now if I should go for another diesel or increase the number of nicely specced cars available to me by including the 1.6 fsi on my 'potentials' list. I am able to claim the equivilent of 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles via my tax return and 12p per mile for petrol 9p per mile for diesel on the extra 10,000. Logic says Diesel but there seem to be quite a number of nice 1.6 fsi's available.

Questions:

what's the life expectancy of the fsi petrol engine compared the the tdi ?

how frequently would the fsi need servicing compared to the tdi ?

what's real world average mpg for the petrol ?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about when comparing the FSI to the Tdi ??

The wife's keeping our red tdi and I'm now on the hunt for mine.

finally, anyone know a good insurer that do 2 on 1 policies and allow no claims based on company car driving ??

Many thanks

Unfortunately an answer to a question you didn't ask . . .

The HMRC guidelines allow a maximum of 40p per mile for the first 10k then 25p per mile after that. If your company pays more you get taxed, if they pay less, you can claim tax back or tax relief, may be worth a look.

Cheers

glock17

Unfortunately an answer to a question you didn't ask . . .

The HMRC guidelines allow a maximum of 40p per mile for the first 10k then 25p per mile after that. If your company pays more you get taxed, if they pay less, you can claim tax back or tax relief, may be worth a look.

Cheers

glock17

Thanks for that, I should know it too as I've got G10 (part of the advanced financial planning certificate AFPC qualification) should revisit my old manual :eek:

Fsi V Tdi

Hi
Other considerations
I think the road tax is lower on the TDI £35.00 per year? and the FSI is £115

The cost of derv at this moment in time is 6 to 8 pence per ltr more if you buy it at the wrong place !

The TDi is safer in a crash if you have a fuel leak

There was some talk a while ago that HM Gov were considering altering the mileage allowances based on CO2 so that cars below 120g/km would be allowed 50p/mile business use, with 'middling' cars staying at 40p and high CO2 cars reducing to 30p or 20p/mile. The proposal also supported reducing VAT on cars below 120gm/km and increasing it for high CO2 cars.

Personally I would always go diesel for the torque benefits and they can be chipped:)to greater effect!

i also wanted a tdi, but saved about a grand buying a petrol and it seems to be doing 50mpg on a run, which is better than i thought.
like you i saw plenty of fsi's at really good prices but rightly or wrongly was put off by the need to use high octane fuel and word of much poorer mpg than the 1.4 petrol.
i'd like to know if the fsi really is much different?

Q:what's the life expectancy of the fsi petrol engine compared the the tdi ?
A:Dunno on that - I would have thought with regular and appropriate maintenance it should be comparable.

Q:how frequently would the fsi need servicing compared to the tdi ?
A: My 1.6 has just had its second AVS at 36k miles. Because of this I had the 40k service done. Forget what it cost now, I think around £300 at main dealer.

Q:what's real world average mpg for the petrol ?
A:Depends on your driving. Mine has averaged 34.7mpg for the last 4 months doing the school run, so that cold start, lots of roundabouts in MK so stop start driving. then parked up and cold start again. The car is now doing a 130 mile a day trip 65 each way and last week being carefull it averaged 45.1mpg for the week, we're keepign the trip set though to see how it pans out for a few weeks. When I went upto Centre Parcs last, I actually got there (trying) with a trip average of 49mpg.

TBH I thought for the type of driving 34mpg wasnt bad, and for that trip you have got to be doing a lot of trips to out weigh the extra cost of buyign an oilburner and then buying the mroe expensive fuel.

FSi vs TDi

Type of journey & driving style clearly makes an enormous amount of difference, but I can give very comparable figures having owned both examples:-

My FSi did 37195m in exactly 3 years at an overall average of 41.7mpg.
My TDi has done 24955m in exactly 2 years at an overall average of 53.4mpg.

The vast majority of those miles come from a 17m (each way) daily commute on non-conjested A roads. Both cars were/are fuelled with Sainsbury's fuel ~ mainly not their super-unleaded for the FSi.

Many thanks for the replies,

I think on the basis of 20k per year and the possibility of 3 years plus ownership it's got to be another Tdi. Bit of a shame really as there appear to be a fair few low mileage FSI's that look well spec'd.

This is an economy drive on my part. I want to reduce the financial burden of motoring for the next few years, so while the ego appeal of a new C class or an Audi A5 is very high, the associated real world costs of taxation at 40% on such a car, when added to the loss of the equivilant car allowance are too great.

The hunt for another Tdi starts here, I wonder if stealth will give me a discount for getting two Tdi's mapped at once ??

Last edited:
Back