twisted front strut, problem?

chb

OK bit of history. I had drivers side front coil spring (and top mount bearing) replaced in january.
Over last couple of months I have become convinced that wheel bearing is knackered (grinding noise esp at 5-10mph).
Today however I just noticed that the suspension strut is not fitted straight. The flat bracket that sits level with the top of the wheel does not point straight forward. It does on the other side. So the strut has rotated (or been badly fitted) into the suspension arm.

Could this cause the noise? If not are there likely to be any problems with having this not straight?

I am waiting for FSD's fitting by Awsome, but this is not till late sept now!
Am not using the car at the moment, which is killing my old volvo and leaving the Audi unloved on the drive.

Hi chb
The bottom of the strut has a locating plate which fits into the 'split clamping' slot in the lower suspension wishbone. This prevents the strut rotating more than 1 degree or so. Its therefore more likely the flat bracket at wheel height is bent. Even if it is bent, I don't think its related to the grinding noise, nor should it cause any suspension problems. The only thing I would do is check the bottom split clamp bolt is tight.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike.
Plate is definately not bent. Its the plate that the suspension tie-bar (wrong phrase I am sure...approx six inches long bar with rubber bounts on each end) fastens to. The tie bar looks well secured, but the strut is definately 10degrees clockwise of where it should.
I can't see how this is causing the noise, but I think its off back to IVC for them to fix it.

Is there any kinks in your bottom wishbone bar?
I had to get mine changed and the suspension part behind it.
The bottom wishbone is about £70
suspension carrier behind it is another £80 bucks :(

Have you measured the gaps either side of the car and compared?
its a quick way to see if anything is off the square :cool:

Back