Tyre Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy1

My A2 FSI I not was supplied new with the cheapest tyres - Pirelli Powergy) and the worst score in various tests according to mytyres.co.uk. the other makes in the 185/50 size ie Dunlop and Continental score much better but cost more. Has anyone else made a change and noticed better performance and roadfeel - the latter is meant to be so.

2003 FSi SE in Ebony Black Pearlescent; Climate; DIS; Winter Pack; Sports Steering Wheel; Copilot Light and Upgraded bulbs

Ours came with the Dunlops

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

[8D]Michi's Great in the wet, in the dry and quiet on the motorway.
Using a Db meter mine is quieter at 70 than my old 328i. It was on Michi's as well. They are a quiet tyre in this application. My GTV was lod on the french rubber and preferred Bridgestones.
Am I allowed to say french rubber on this forum? Especially before t[3][17][26][11][19]he watershed.

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

shouldn't be allowed - moderator will be on your case (or maybe not in Steve's case)

Steve - you have to be one of the most laid back moderators on any forum I know. I dont think you have ever moderated anything - am I right?

Kaine

RUNBOY-MAERSK'S DUPLICATE REMOVED AS REQUESTED

[17]Can I say 'French Rubber' or not?
If I can say 'French Rubber' then that is ok but if I can't say 'French Rubber' I shall have to find another way to say 'Fr*nch Ru**er'[20]

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

Changed to Avon tyres. This is a brand that you may find difficult to get, and not many people say much about them, but I find them exceptional. Much more comfortable ride, good lasting and excellent grip. An all round winner and a good price.
Cheers all

I've never done so much moderating......

Oh damm, no I'm [14]

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

We had the funny tire size as well the Michelin were ridicoulous expensive *Tyre size 185X50x16

so now we have put Pirrelli 6000 tyres on the A2 A different size 195x 50x 16 and I dont know what this size matters exactly but the car runs smoothly

Jeff Huisman
yoyoman.jpg

2000 silver coloured A2
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe5.htm

Mine came with mitchelin Premicy 185's
but the fsi's come now with dunlops since there is a 3 month waiting list for mitchelin tyres, difficult tyre's to get hold of.
Had to get a dunlop for one rear tyre since it could not be repaired.
Cost £93.00 full fitted and balanced by an Audi sub-contracted tyre fitter.

Cheers

andy.

A.D.Simmons

Mine has Michelin XV1... not so good.
I has Nokian NVR on my Golf. Those were really good tires (compared with Bridgstone Turanza)... More confortable, more grip (wet and dry) and much less cost! :)
Do a simple search for Nokia NVR as watch the results! :)

Cheers,
A2day

Speed doesn't kill... sudden deacceleration does!
small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI
See it > http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe26.htm

Hi yoyoman

Going from 185x50x16 to 195x50x16 will cause the A2 to acclerate slightly less responsively and have a slightly higher top speed. Your speedometer will also read slightly low ie.for one revolution of your wheels the car will think it has travelled slightly less of a distance. The new tyres are slightly wider, so your grip will be a little better but there will also be more drag so fuel consumption will be worse.

Basically 185 - 195 means the width of the tyre (metric) so 195 is wider.

The 50 is the tyres aspect ratio, so bith tyres have a height of 50% of their width (hence 195 slightly larger in diameter at the tread).

Finally the 16 is 16 inches in diameter (wheel size in imperial UK measurement)

Ricardo

We've done 30k on a set of (first set) Dunlop SP9000's I've just had them swapped over and I reckon the backs have around 8000 until they are kak. The fronts (previously the backs) have probably 12k+ left, so I'm well impressed, good grip although a tad noisy.

Going back to widths/heights etc.. ricardo has explained what happens when you use different sizes... if you wanted to keep the car the same as standard
then the next size up from 185x50x16 (that would preserve the rolling radius) is would be 205x45x16

bye_bye_alfa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back