UK competition watchdog to study car warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

runboy

About time too!. Got this from the news today:

"UK competition watchdog to study car warranties.
LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - Britain's competition watchdog launched an investigation into warranties for new cars on Monday - a business it said could be worth more than a billion pounds ($1.6 billion) a year to garages in linked servicing agreements.
"Our study will look at how the car servicing market is affected by the warranties offered with new cars, particularly when servicing is tied to a franchised network. It will examine the pros and cons for purchasers," Office of Fair Trading chairman John Vickers said in a statement.
In addition to the manufacturer's guarantee, new cars in Britain are often sold with an extended warranty from the dealer.
Although carmakers' warranties do not usually specify where a car must be serviced, the longer-term dealer warranties will normally be invalidated unless the car has been serviced from new by garages within the manufacturer's network.
Britain is also carrying out a probe into extended warranties on electrical goods after the Office of Fair Trading concluded they were a rip-off."

But it will take them 2 years no doubt, then a further 5 years before something comes into law!:D

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I can't believe that it's taken this long for them to realise.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky