Unluck or what?

I had the Volvo serviced today by my independant, usual good job and attention to detail, BUT.....the catalytic converter needs replacing, "the brick is loose, listen" and he knocked it with his fist, something jumped and rattled. You are unlucky he said , they normally last 400 to 500 thousand miles!
Unlucky or what? I believe that speed humps cause this problem, I remember a seminar some time ago given by a cat manufacturer, and he said that cats could be damaged by speed humps, and I have come across some very violent ones, such that 5 mph is the max you can comfortably drive the A2 over them. The ambulance service say they contribute to many deaths each year ( I can't remember the exact figure, but one is too many).

Any way, it's £460 + Vat for the part and it's awkward to change, he showed me. To rub it in it has to come from Sweden, because they are so rarely needed. I think my first 4 cars cost less than that in total! I suppose I can't complain really it's the first significant repair bill I have had to pay

I hate to think how much the A2 cat is, I hope no one has been unlucky enough to need one.

I used to have a volvo S40 2.0T. Was a good car, v quick but cost the earth when it went into the dealer. That and insurance were the main reasons for sale, can you not get a CAT from the salvage for less?

Apparently not, the price quoted was for exchange. I've searched the net and it is close to the price quoted there, add postage and we would be even closer. My independant repairer is very good, honest and helpful, I don't want to spoil a good working relationship for a couple of quid, anyway he has ordered it and didn't require a deposit or anything. He says he trusts me!!!

ULP. Yes 5 cylinder turbo, the cats for non turbo are cheaper. I certainly do lots of short journeys because I have to get the Volvo out to make way for the A2 to pass, probably 10 yards out and 15 to get it back in, almost every day, because I prefer the A2 for it's ability to be parked in smaller spaces. That is probably a contributing factor, but as above , it's the only significant repair cost since new. The mechanic said "the brick is loose", I assumed from that, that the brackets holding the "brick" had disintegrated

It's being done on Monday, my neighbour suggested a second hand one from e-bay, I would think that is VERY risky, and apparently mine is the awkward one to fit, they did show when on the ramp, it looks a b*****.
Oh well it's only money.

yes - brief engine start ups are a major cause of condensation wherever air is circulating within the engine.

very often it's the cause of problems when you go to restart the car sometime later as well.

it'll be made worse by the air Injection systems most modern cars run now - which are specifically to get the cat up to temp quicker and the engine into closed loop mode - but they inject fresh air directly into the exhaust manifold - nice moist morning/evening air..

Back