Uprated springs for an FSI?

lyndonbuck

Hi I'm getting really fed up with the awful ride in my FSI with SE suspension and 17" sport wheels. I vainly thought that this combination would be OK, but its not. Does anyone know of uprated progressive springs for an FSI, everyone lists 1.4 petrol and tdis but I have yet to find a company that lists FSI - I have seen an advert for H&R springs that states FSI is OK (I think it was europerformance or someone like that), but everyone else says they don't fit. Please help - has anyone fitted some to an FSI and were they an improvement? My old BMW has bilstein shocks and progressive springs, its quite low with similar profile tyres to the A2 and rides much much better. Thanks, Lyndon

If you're after progressive springs to improve the ride quality, forget it - I did exactly the same, getting H&R springs fitted to Tank (TDi 90), but although they are progressive springs, the ride quality is a lot harsher, because the springs are about 30% stiffer to make up for the lowered ride height.

I would imagine the only way to go would be to get a full set of springs and dampers, ideally fully adjustable for rebound damping and ride height, but this won't come cheap - at least £600 plus fitting.

Cheers,

Mike (who now scrutinises every inch of the road ahead for the smallest imperfections to avoid!)

A2_SAT said:
How about a set of coilovers for less than £300?
At this price, you almost certainly won't be able to adjust ride height and so will be stuck with the spring length they supply, which will be a short 'sport' spring, which will have to be stiffer to make up for its length and so you're back to square one!

Cheers,

Mike

the problem is not the springs and the ride quality, if some of our taxes where actually spent on roads it would be fine but like mike and probably every other a2 sport driver i have to weave around the road like a drunk driver avoiding pot holes which in the dark or rain is a total nightmare and if it is dark and raining i just grip the steering wheel and scream every swear word going everytime i plough through one of the never ending craters in our roads.

Don

Skipton01 said:
Which is what I said about spending ££££s - it can be done, but it'll cost you plenty.
True, but the eggbert deserve those coilovers, plain and simple :D

Has anyone actually tried coilovers, and if so do they work? I really can't understand why A2s ride so badly, surely there is a way to cure it, even if it does cost £600

cahl said:
True, but the eggbert deserve those coilovers, plain and simple :D
Eggbert might, but Tank likes to play rough (I think you've got me mixed up with the other Mike).

Cheers,

Mike

lyndonbuck said:
Has anyone actually tried coilovers, and if so do they work? I really can't understand why A2s ride so badly, surely there is a way to cure it, even if it does cost £600

Hello lyndonbuck,

in another thread I just posted pictures of a 1.6 FSI upgraded with lowering springs made by FK-Automotive …

Back