Urgent Help Needed: A40 Tyre Blowout between Gloucester and Cheltenham.

timmus

A2OC Donor
Hello good people of A2OC.

My sister, who drives a blue Colour Storm TDI has had a tyre blowout on the A40 between Gloucester and Cheltenham.

IMG_1492.jpeg

924e19b9-0eee-4b39-8990-8b95095d8470.jpeg

Due to needing all her boot space on a previous journey, she’s left her spare wheel at home. Murphy’s law!

Are there any kind club members available to assist her?
For example, is anyone able to meet her and get her car (or indeed just her rear-left wheel) to a tyre shop?

Thanks folks. If nobody is free to assist, there’s always the RAC/AA, so no catastrophe, but you lot are usually a better bet. 🙂

Tom

The biggest challenge might well be finding a correct sized tyre with a fitter with capacity to fit. @timmus it would be worth you trying to do that remotely for her whilst I work on finding someone who can get wheel off and tyre to said tyre shop. There are a couple of quick fits, an ats euromaster and f1 autos focal

Tom, I know it`s no help right now but for future reference I have 4 Genuine Audi A2 Steel Winter Wheels with Vredestein 165 65 15 Tyres. One of those would always do for a Spare in an Emergency in our area.

Steve U

All sorted. Anna is on the move again.

A massive, massive thanks to Colin, @Erlingtheyounger’s father-in-law, for helping a lass he’d never even heard of before.
And, of course, massive thanks to Erling for dropping everything and getting this organised.

2.5hrs after the tyre blowout, it’s like it never happened, all thanks to the kindness of A2ers.

@timmus when you get eyes on Anna’s car again I would strongly recommend you check the remaining 3 tyres very carefully - if one has blown out then there could be defects in the others. Do you have any thoughts on what could have weakened the tyre in question to cause a blowout?

@timmus when you get eyes on Anna’s car again I would strongly recommend you check the remaining 3 tyres very carefully - if one has blown out then there could be defects in the others. Do you have any thoughts on what could have weakened the tyre in question to cause a blowout?
I’ve advised her to check the tyre pressures on the others and check the outside sidewalls for any damage.
Given that it was the rear left, I suspect a kerb might have had some involvement.

I had both rear tyres blown out same way as your sister about week or two apart but from inner side. I have 45 17 tyres so quite thin and they were both underinflated ( not completely) sitting for long period of time. The combination of low pressure weight and thin tyres caused them to split from inner side. I couldn't see anything from the front. Since the blowouts I always take spare wheel with me everywhere.

Back