URGENT! how do you get the battery out?

Thanks for the help guys, got the boot open no problem. Now I need to get the battery out to charge it overnight in the garage. Can somebody tell me how to get it out? Looked in the owners manual, but no info. Looks like its held in with a plastic slider? but can't budge the thing. Any help greatly appreciated, need to get it on charge tonight!!!

Cheers Mike, I did do a "battery removal" search but didn't come up with anything useful. Cheers

No worries - ELSAwin is a strange and wonderful thing - like a woman, you need to know how to treat it and EXACTLY how to phrase a question, if you want the right answer!!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, can't get at the bolts that hold the battery in, looks like you have to take off the rear trim to allow the tyre sealant foam packaging to be removed. Going to charge it in place tomorrow! crikey what a pullover, just to get a battery out! Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mike, can't get at the bolts that hold the battery in, looks like you have to take off the rear trim to allow the tyre sealant foam packaging to be removed. Going to charge it in place tomorrow! crikey what a pullover, just to get a battery out! Cheers, Mark

Yes, you do!

The only time I've ever charged an A2 battery, I did it in situ. I put the charger in the boot along with the mains plug and then trailed the lead into the garage.

Stand over the car for 15 minutes or so and then there should be enough charge in the battery to activate the central locking. Once the car is locked, there is nothing that anyone can nick or disconnect (unless they're fool enough to cut a mains lead!).

Oh, and for reference tomorrow, the rad fan control unit fuse is a big 40amp b****r, next to the relays above the main fuse panel. Photo attached.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike, you must have read my mind, I was just about to post about where the fuse was!! Managed to lock the rear doors by putting the key in the other hole, next to the child locks. So its all locked up. Many thanks for all your help tonight. Hopefully won't bother you again, although looking at the stuff you have to reset, windows, radio etc , i'll be in here again for advice tomorrow! Have a good night, Mark

Hi Mike, wonder if I could pick your brains again, I've sinced notice one of the engine management warning lights has come on, its the one shaped like an engine. Obviously the fan not going off and this warning light are related, but can I still drive the car? Also the jpeg you sent me of the fuse layout (and mine in the car itself) bears no relation to my car fuse layout? On my car fuse panel it says radiator fan as number 4, but thats only a 10amp fuse and when I take it out the fan is still going? I also removed all 4 20amp fuses one at a time but still the fan was running? Just not really sure what to do. Do I take a chance and buy a new control box for the fan or just let the dealer sort it? any suggestions. At the moment i'm not using the car at all. Best regards, Mark

Hiya, been away for a while - sorry!

Right, the main fuse for the fan is the 40amp one (yes, 40 amp) as shown in the diagram attached yesterday.

It is not accessible from the fuse panel flap, but requires the removal of the lower dash trim.

To do this, pull sharply backwards (ie towards the rear of the car) on the top edge of the trim panel. There are 2 securing clips on the door side of the steering wheel and 1 clip on the passenger side.

Once off, you can fold down the trim panel, it's quite flexible and then remove the fuse, next to the relays as shown.

Once this is done, it will disable the fan.

However, you need to get a diagnostic scan done on the car to see what the faults are, before rushing out and buying any parts. The dealer is the best port of call for this really, unless you know someone with a full version of VAG com.

Cheers,

Mike

Many thanks Mike, I've got a mobile Audi mechanic in the area (4 rings), i'll give him a shout tomorrow and see if he can come around. I don't think i'll use it till then. Thanks again and have a great evening, Mark.

Back