Vag k+can not working :(

Hi guys, I connected it up to my a2, it read security code fine, went to learn a remote and it won't even identify the car anymore :(

No its one that runs the commander software. They want to send me VAG COM 10.6 instead as they said the commander software isnt very reliable? I can't afford the ross tech one yet :/

i have asked if the vag com they are supplying is upgradeable as i have heard some of them become wiped

I had a non genuine ross-tech which recently fried itself.

Common place on the replica ones.

I have now bought a genuine ross-tech and works like a charm.

On that note, can one get the SKC for the car via VCDS??

John

£260

Quite expensive, but I plan on staying in the VAG group of cars for as long as I can see (the misses has a VW also), so its a very valuable tool, and you get free updates to the software for life.

I had gone through around 3 cheapo cables, and half the time they didnt work properly, so in my eyes its worth the money in the long run.

Well, there is so much you can do with it.

Im currently in the middle of writing a label file for the Dash panel and altering the one for AMF engine, as the one with the software is not entirely correct. Quite fun learning all the coding options etc.

John

I had a non genuine ross-tech which recently fried itself.

Common place on the replica ones.

I have now bought a genuine ross-tech and works like a charm.

On that note, can one get the SKC for the car via VCDS??

John

No its one that runs the commander software. They want to send me VAG COM 10.6 instead as they said the commander software isnt very reliable? I can't afford the ross tech one yet :/

i have asked if the vag com they are supplying is upgradeable as i have heard some of them become wiped

How much is a genuine Ross-Tech cable and VAGCom software these days?

John, No VCDS will not read SKC

Richard, The commander software is rubbish, it occasionally will read then become stumped and sit there doing nothing, you can actually do some damage with this. The 10.6 will be a copy and whilst some work, others will cause issues and as soon as internet is connected to the laptop whilst the cable is plugged in and software running, it will kill the cable.

Dan, What are you planning on doing with your RNS-E as it will be a waste of money if it just used for that alone and then forgotten about.

Cheers
Sarge

John, The SKC is extracted by a few different tools, I have a professional Hand held unit that reads then calculates the SKC from different manufacturers but it is still limited to VAG upto certain years, but you certainly can't do it with VCDS :)

I have to say that experimentation with this side of the car's security can lead to total failure if you don't know what your doing. I have had to repair an instrument cluster which otherwise would have ended with the car being written off after the owner played with his Vag Commander 5.1 and another one that slips my mind right now. I have also seen a bill of £800 for an A4 that cheap Chinese tools were used on and a complete new instrument cluster was the only solution and that was limited to the repair at the dealers as well.

Trust me I have spent 'a lot' of money whilst trying to discover how these things work.

Cheers
Sarge

When I get a good week I'll buy the official vag com, what software will read the Skc apart from the independent units sarge?

Been a while since I bought any, but Vag Commander was one I played with but like I said it was temperamental. There was something called Vag Tacho a while back, I also bought this and was never able to get it to work. There was another called Vag-Dash-Com, again never got it work properly, just a few of what I can remember wasting a lot of money on, hence why I went for pro gear.

There is also a difference between the early A2 and the later one as some of the gear will only work with one or the other.

Like I say if your buying VCDS for SKC, then don't, it won't read it as there is no options for this with this software/hardware.

Cheers
Sarge

Been a while since I bought any, but Vag Commander was one I played with but like I said it was temperamental. There was something called Vag Tacho a while back, I also bought this and was never able to get it to work. There was another called Vag-Dash-Com, again never got it work properly, just a few of what I can remember wasting a lot of money on, hence why I went for pro gear.

There is also a difference between the early A2 and the later one as some of the gear will only work with one or the other.

Like I say if your buying VCDS for SKC, then don't, it won't read it as there is no options for this with this software/hardware.

Cheers
Sarge

I don't understand how the cheap commander can find the SKC but the official cant ? I know there are two types of interfaces, the cheap commander can read SKC but the cheap VAG COM cable can't . Is there an official cable that can work in both modes?

I think some people may get confused with the 'VAG' (Volks Wagon Audi Group) title. Vag Com (now called VCDS) and Vag Commander are two separate products from two different companies. A lot of companies are selling tools on the market referring to them as to VAG xxxxx.

VCDS will not be implementing reading SKC, so they say.

Cheers
Sarge

It does get confusing, I have searched the net for all Types of OBD interfaces and has had me running in loops.

I have the commander interface which I am hoping to re flash. That read SKC fine using vag commander full edition. They are sending me the VAG COM type interface which will hopefully sort my convenience unit.

Is it that the Ross tech vag cable can't read the area where the SKC code is stored? If it were possible to dump the relevant address range with Ross tech interface it could be searched couldn't it?

Yes I know what you mean about running round in loops.

I would advise against the flashing of the Vag Commander unless it is from the supplier directly, even then your at risk of killing it.

Ref VCDS SKC, Simple answer, Doubt it but Don't know Pal. Perhaps researching over at Ross Tech may answer it better.

Cheers
Sarge

Back