Variable Servicing

Smick

Just got my car serviced yesterday by Foster Motor Co of Sandyford in Dublin.

The mileage is around the 40,000 mark.

The service cost €325, about £225.

What has concerned me is when I check the service indicator, it states that the next service is due in 9,300 miles.

I thought that one of the benefits of the A2 diesel was long service intervals. As far as I am concerned, 10,000 between services was standard on my old Astra 1.7TD so I can't see 9,300 as being particularly good.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, they lent me a brand new 1.9TDi Jetta Comfortline. Good but not great.

Smick,
It may take a while for the full service distance to show, depends on driving style and whether you do many long or short journeys, for example I had 'eggbert' serviced about a month before I went to France, the mileage built up to about 20k at home then shot up to 30k during the trip there and back then fell back to a 22k interval once home and 'normal' driving had resumed.
cheers
mike

I felt exactly the same last week after my service, however, almost 400 miles later and the display now shows 21,000. Car's driving much better now too :)

Hi Mr Smurf
It explains how to check the service indicator in the owners manual (page 83 in my 2001 edition) If you don't have one - switch on the ignition but dont start the engine then press the (clock setting) button below the rev counter. The display between the rev counter and speedo should show the mileage to the next service.

Cheers Spike

I had my car serviced on the 22nd February 2007 and the variable service indicator stated 9300 to the next service.

I only travel a few miles per day and knowing this is bad news for the car, I was keen to get some motorway miles under my belt in order to clear out some of the built up 'soot' and please the variable service indicator.

On Friday, with the indicator still reading 9300 to the next service, I decided to drive into Birmingham from Milton Keynes and put some miles on the clock. A round journey of some 100 plus miles from Milton Keynes, I had hoped that the indicator might have increased.

Answer - 'No'

Instead, I now find that the indicator has dropped by 2000, yes, 2000 miles and is now reading 7300 to the next service.

I was sceptical in the first instance of the variable service when you are a low mileage driver and this latest development has proved a 'Joke', meaning I could need a service well before the end of the year. :mad:

For me, I am now definitely switching to the annual 10,000 mile servicing intervals. I know that low mileage can lead to condensation etc..., but surely my oil cannot be that contaminated in just over a month!! :mad:

Apart from this, the car continues to be a joy to drive and put a smile on my face; similar to the smile on the face of the service manager at Wayside Audi Milton Keynes when they see me scurrying through their doors for a service twice in one year, probably covering something like 3000 miles between each at best. :rolleyes:

Darren

Darren, fear not - the service agent has reset the car to fixed service intervals - it happened to me last October when Tank had his first service.

Just go back to the dealer and ask them to sort it.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Darren, fear not - the service agent has reset the car to fixed service intervals - it happened to me last October when Tank had his first service.

Just go back to the dealer and ask them to sort it.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the advice mate.

What makes you so sure though?? I was under the impression that you would not get a reading from the variable service indicator if you chose the fixed servicing option?! Also, even if this is the case, what would result in such a curious change in the mileage due figure?

Sorry for the questions guru, just curious that's all and if there is one person with the answer, then it is you oh master!! ;)

Cheers,

Darren

Stop It!

The fixed intervals still give out mileage to next service readings. However, a 2k mile drop in a month is rather a lot.

I'd contact the dealer anyway and check your paperwork, it should say somewhere that you've had a VSI service carried out (variable service interval), as opposed to a fixed service interval. If they say you've had the VSI then give it another month or so and have another look at the reading. Sometimes, the mileage on VSI will drop before shooting back up to the 20k mark.

Don't despair.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Stop It!

The fixed intervals still give out mileage to next service readings. However, a 2k mile drop in a month is rather a lot.

I'd contact the dealer anyway and check your paperwork, it should say somewhere that you've had a VSI service carried out (variable service interval), as opposed to a fixed service interval. If they say you've had the VSI then give it another month or so and have another look at the reading. Sometimes, the mileage on VSI will drop before shooting back up to the 20k mark.

Don't despair.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks again - really hope you are correct; as usual - sorry couldn't resist!! :D

Cheers,

Darren

ULP said:
I agree - if it was fixed then the service interval would just drop 300 miles every 300 miles from the last service - a drop of 2000 in (presumably) 300 miles would indicate an unhappy VSI!

Chris,

Although I was of the same opinion - really hope you are wrong - for once!! :D

Cheers,

Darren

I have been to see Mr Audi today and they tell me that their computer records marry up with my paper work in that a variable service has been carried out.

I was told, (what I already knew), that short - start - stop, journeys and hard acceleration can play havoc with the sensors; not much use to me then living in roundabout city and covering an average 7 or so miles a day. I will definitely be switching to fixed servicing after this now though, especially as the 2000 mile decrease happened after my nice long run to Brum. I appreciate it would have dropped anyway, but whether by 2000 or not, I will never know.

In essence - short journey use = fixed servicing / motorway miles = variable servicing.

Darren

Checked for the first time since the service this morning.

I have done approximately 500 miles in the one week since the service.

The VSI has changed from 9300 to 9100.

Not too happy about it. I might phone them and make sure they did a variable service because they also put a sticker on the inside of the window, stating

"Your next service is due at 50,000 miles or April 2008, whichever is sooner".

Doesn't sound too variable to me...!

I wonder whether some of this comes about because they actually do a variable service but reset the indicator via the dash and not via their electronic hook up. If you're lucky enough for the garage to have included a copy of the maintenance list with your invoice you might notice that one of the items is: "Service display:Reset" and then a tick in the box to say whether its been done or not. This is not particularly clear as to how this show be done. Its no excuse for it but might be the reason.
I've just had our 3rd AVS done and checked the paper work and it all looks ok, so will be keeping an eye on it.

Cheers

Jonathan

I spoke with AMD last year at great length re: the Fixed verses variable servicing.

In short, unless you sit on the motorway, then to preserve the engine, a fixed service programme is a better option.

J.

Back