Various problems

J

jules1811

Hi,

I'm from the UK and I'm new to this site. I have a 9 year old Audi A2 (obviously) 1.4. In the last 2 months I have noticed the following problems:

Oh and please bear with me - I'm no mechanic! -

When I turn the steering wheel, I can hear the motor making a noise - my friend says he thinks its the electric power steering and that its faulty.

Sometimes the power steering seems to turn off, as the steering wheel becomes harder to turn. This only lasts a few seconds - but it happens frequently.

The other issue I have is that sometimes when I'm idling, after a few minutes the engine cuts out. I restart the engine immediately and it works, but I don't understand why its cutting out.

Does anyone know what is causing these problems?

Also, I'm no DIY man - and I'm looking at changing my car in the next 12 months, so are these repairs expensive and how long do you think I have until the car actually breaks down?

Thanks for reading and I hope I get some advise. I would like to add, that this website is very informative and really well laid out.

Thanks.

As in all cases of this sort, a diagnostic scan is the best first step and if you look on the Googlemap of members, there may be someone in your area with suitable kit (I am around Manchester if it's any help).

It is quite normal for the power steering pump to make a noise at full lock and a little sound at all other angles, but the fact that it keeps cutting out is worrying.

The same concerns for the engine cutting out too - it's probably a sensor of some sort, but a scan will pinpoint the area to start looking for.

Cheers,

mike

Back