Very rusty number plate screws - Any ideas?

BearMcPear

Someone decided to save a few cents and use regular instead of stainless steel screws for the license plates. Managed to swap the ones for the front over rather easily, but the back license plate looks worse and I haven't been able to remove the bolts. Tried cutting a groove with my dremel, drilling them out, all with penetrating fluid but to no avail and I don't want to put too much force on it and dent the tailgate. Do you guys have any ideas, or could I possible attack this from the other side by disassembling the tailgate?

Picture below is a bit older, but shows the problem. The other bolt looks worse, and both bolts were tightened so much they cracked the cover and had rust 'leak'.
1651340540948.png

Drill them out. You may need a slightly larger bit, but it always works eventually. Once the drill's properly in, just reverse the drill.

Pressed aluminium plates should not be drilled or screwed. They need to be clamped in a number plate holder, such as the ones available in the A2OC shop:

Drill and Easy Out them ( tapered left hand threaded tap that tightens its grip the more you try to remove the screw / bolt ) sets are readily available cheaply.

If you don't mind replacing the number plate, an old post suggested grinding the head off the bolt and sticking the new plate on with 3M tape

Cheers Spike

Id probably use some mole grips and turn them out. Thats what I have done in the past. There is possibility of scratching the plate so you could put some tape on it or just get a new plate if its rust stained too etc. A good set of mole grips is ideal for this type of thing.

Finally got them off, using lots and lots of drilling. The screw heads gave out, so the thread is still stuck in there. Going to get a nice new plate, and attach it with some 3M tape. :)

Finally got them off, using lots and lots of drilling. The screw heads gave out, so the thread is still stuck in there. Going to get a nice new plate, and attach it with some 3M tape. :)

I really would encourage you to get a number plate holder, which can be left screwed to the car (and with 3M tape for additional support if you want). If you don't like the A2OC holders, here are some plain ones that are cheap and work well:

I tried the 3M tape without the holder, but it didn't really seem durable enough - after my front plate dropped off, I lost patience.

HI
If it was me i would try to get some re lease fluid on the screw then get a pair of grips on the screw head and work it loose. If re using number plates you could use tape to protect area around screw. But if screws are very rusty the head would probably snap off allowing you to remove plate then grip screw to remove.
Best of luck

Jumping in on this one...Anybody recommend a good place for pressed plates? Think I may treat my project to some...
Cheers
Andy

Just had this very problem. Managed to drill the heads off but that's it. Cleaned the rust stains off the plate, stuck it back in place with double sided spongy tape, then cut the heads off two new screws and glued them over the holes. Looks ok.

Back