vibration during acceleration

Pedaliera

I'm experiencing something I've never felt on another car before. My A2 runs extremely smooth under all conditions except under acceleration. The car vibrates, not excessively, but there is a clear low frequency vibration. The engine does its job, it pulls fine, as it always have. With all the power 75 hp can deliver ;) .

The vibrations occur first over 50 km/h (approx.). The engine revs and the selected gear does not seem to matter...

I have really no clues.... :confused:

Someone???

Hi Pedaliera, welcome to the A2oc
I can't recall any of our club members having similar problems.
As your car cruises smoothly at speed then it cant be a problem with any rotating mass - like wheels, driveshafts etc so my best guess would be the engine mounts. If these are damaged or mis-aligned they may transmit vibration into the cabin when the engine is under full load during acceleration.

Cheers Spike

you say it happens @ 50, does it clear if you go quicker, if so it's probably a wheel out of balance.

The speed doesn't matter as long as it is approximately above 50 km/h. I haven't owned my car for more than a couple of weeks and I'm very satisfied with with it's handling. But as Spike says, it could be an issue with the engine brackets. I'll have it checked.

I have a lot of experience with engines, especially with heavy diesel engines above 9 liters swept volume and I have never experienced this issue before. As I have never driven a petrol A2 before maybe it's normal? As I have stated before it's not excessive in any way but it's not as smooth as cruising engine load.

My A2 has over 170 000 km on its speedometer but it has been well taken care of according to its previous owner and the extensive service and repair receipts that have followed with the car.

Patrik

Back