Voltage from alternator, all lights dim every few seconds. incl video

Hi guys

I recently became an Audi a2 owner and I have this problem I want to sort out
All my lights dim down every few seconds with a faint sound like "blub" and "plop" in the second video you can slightly hear it. The sound corresponds exactly when the lights dim. Where the sound originates is hard to tell.
I have changed my voltage regulator after reading up on this forum but to no avail. The problem persists and you can see in the first video I have uploaded how the voltage directly from the alternator behaves.
Checked the earth point behind the headlight, cleaned and filed it down.

here you can watch the alternator voltage
[video=youtube;Dtb0T8Anhz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtb0T8Anhz8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

here you can see the lights dim - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NJtNCxb_w&feature=youtu.be

Possible solution is to change the alternator, but still maybe the problem lies somewhere else in the electrics?
Some tips and help appreciated, maybe some of you have experience and knows what I should do.

Bump to the top as its been sitting in the moderation area for a couple of days due to the embedded video clip.

This 'could' be the power steering pump. I would check, clean and tighten all earthing points first then look for other area's of faults. This includes the battery connections and battery too.

The power steering pump normally sounds as a whizzing/whirring sounds. when you move the steering wheel an inch or so does it do this affect every time as well?

Cheers
Sarge

Do the external lights also dim at the same time?
If not it could be that the control for the interior lights is faulty or perhaps just requires a clean.
You could try moving the control wheel from min to max a few times to see if this offers any improvement.

Failing that, check the earth connections.

Steve

The alternator pulley has an internal ratchet mechanism (drives in one direction and freewheels on the over-run) which can fail and eventually result in a total loss of drive. Not sure if its possible for it to slip in the early stages of failure but maybe you could listen in for any strange noises using a length of hose as a stethoscope - just mind your fingers in the drive belt.

Cheers Spike

Sarge786 : I have a feeling this is related to the servo somehow, because I have been sporadically getting a heavy steeringwheel (with no warning lights in dash) and once getting the servo light failure in the dashboard.
By turning the engine off and on and the servo was back up and running with no failure lights in the dash.
When I turn my steeringwheel in standstill it "plops" and "gurgles" and it definetly provokes the sound of the plop to be more frequent. The lights in the whole car outside and inside is also dimming in tact. Servo fluids is checked and topped up.
It seems like the servo is never settling and sounds like it turns itself on and off, even when standing still just idling.
I have checked and cleaned the earthing under the headlight, beneath both A-pillars near the feet, and the battery terminals. I will be checking out the earth points more thoroughly
My thoughs about this is since it is an electrical power steering, is the powersteering unreliable and sounds like its turning on and off because it is not getting reliable voltage from the alternator.?
Or is the alternator voltage dropping because the powersteering is faulty and drawing power on and off leading to the voltage drop I measured?

Spike : When the voltage regulator was replaced, the alternator was out but I did'nt get the chance to check the "clutch pulley" and the rachet mechanism.
I will definetly listen carefully with a hose to see if the alternator pulley makes some strange sounds I can relate to this.
The other option is to loosen the alternator belt and check the rachet mechanism by hand to see if its working, I will also check this out.

Catnip64 : Adjusting the control mechanism for interior lights doesnt seem to have any effect on the symptoms

Thank you for your replies.

Back