Volvo V40 Cross Country Diesel

redbull_a2

A2OC Donor
I am replacing my 2010 Vauxhall Astra in January and I am tempted by the new Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6TD the plus points is that it's nil tax and combined MPG is over 75MPG !! Leather interior as standard either one colour or two tone , only 113bhp but that doesn't bother me to much . The only difference between the Cross Country and the standard V40 is that the suspension is raised 40mm and it has a 4x4 look to it . As I said I am tempted but still on the look out , any other car that has similar MPG ?

Thanks

BMW 1 series 116D efficient dynamics? 74 MPG & supposed to be good engine part developed with PSA I believe

Andy B

BMW 1 series 116D efficient dynamics? 74 MPG & supposed to be good engine part developed with PSA I believe

Andy B

Cheers Andy . I will have to investigate the BMW 1 Series . Only thing I don't like about BMW is the plain and cheap plastics used on the interior .

I am replacing my 2010 Vauxhall Astra in January and I am tempted by the new Volvo V40 Cross Country 1.6TD the plus points is that it's nil tax and combined MPG is over 75MPG !! Leather interior as standard either one colour or two tone , only 113bhp but that doesn't bother me to much . The only difference between the Cross Country and the standard V40 is that the suspension is raised 40mm and it has a 4x4 look to it . As I said I am tempted but still on the look out , any other car that has similar MPG ?

Thanks

I bought a new Volvo V70 drivE (the economical one)

The big Volvo estate. I was AMAZED at the economy and even more amazed at how great they were to drive too (not slow)

The economy was equal to or better than the A2 and 60 MPG was easy, even if not driving economically.

Sold it to a friend and he has not stopped taking about how great it is, all that space and economy.

They use the 1.6 (yes 1.6 !!) diesel that is used in the mini !!!!

It really wasn't slow. What an engineering achievement it was !!

Steve B

My only concern is that the V40 1.6TD is only 113BHP , for a car that size I can imagine it will be slow, I will try to take one for a test drive this weekend to find out .

I bought a new Volvo V70 drivE (the economical one)

The big Volvo estate. I was AMAZED at the economy and even more amazed at how great they were to drive too (not slow)

The economy was equal to or better than the A2 and 60 MPG was easy, even if not driving economically.

Sold it to a friend and he has not stopped taking about how great it is, all that space and economy.

They use the 1.6 (yes 1.6 !!) diesel that is used in the mini !!!!

It really wasn't slow. What an engineering achievement it was !!

Steve B

My only concern is that the V40 1.6TD is only 113BHP , for a car that size I can imagine it will be slow, I will try to take one for a test drive this weekend to find out .

Hi,

It most certainly won't be slow, not quick perhaps, but not certainly NOT slow either.

I had a full flat pack kitchen in the back (20 units) of my V70 1.6 tdi and it was still a "normal" drive.

I drive normally (i.e. quite quick) and am used to performance cars (I built a London Taxi with an 8.2 litre V8 and used to be a drag racer!)

So believe me, if it was slow I would have not been able to put up with it!!

You will be pleasantly surprised I can guarantee it ! (and the V40 is a lot lighter than the V70)

Steve B

Last edited:
Out of interest, why the cross country? From the sounds of it, it's a bit of a stopgap until the XC40 arrives? That extra 1000 quid would probably buy some nice options on the standard V40 :D

Are you sure the Volvo engine is related to the Mini unit? The Volvo engine is a Ford supplied unit which I thought had nothing to do with their engine partnership with PSA who in turn have one with BMW - are you following this?! The Ford unit is (was?) also supplied to Mazda for the 3. However we are looking at a used Volvo XC60 DRIVe as a possible replacement for the Freelander

Are you sure the Volvo engine is related to the Mini unit? The Volvo engine is a Ford supplied unit which I thought had nothing to do with their engine partnership with PSA who in turn have one with BMW - are you following this?! The Ford unit is (was?) also supplied to Mazda for the 3. However we are looking at a used Volvo XC60 DRIVe as a possible replacement for the Freelander

It's both apparently... designed by PSA for Ford and badged as an HDi for the former and an HDCi for the latter. Found its way into the Mini via the BMW connection. Found in everything from the Citroen Berlingo to the S80. Are we still keeping up? :D

Last edited:
The 2014 Mini is supposed to be the first with a BMW engine so yeah, just about keeping up. The Freelander 2 diesel is also the PSA/Ford engine is it not? I do like the Black&White edition, priced well I think. I had looked at the 2WD version but it's only about 2MPG better than the AWD and not that much cheaper?
The A2 FSi is a sweet spot for me so 113BHP does sound low, my dad has a Pug 3008 1.6 HDi FAP (110BHP) and the turbo/gearing in that is a pig; 1st gear required when sub 10MPH. Hopefully the 1.6 TD is more refined.
I do like the V40, nice interior which is a must. Also like the Alfa Giulietta with the multi-air engines for a petrol option.

Last edited:
I like the Alfa Giulietta with the multi-air engines for a petrol option.

The missus' mum has one - 170hp 1.4 is a hoot but it's been in the dealer this weekend...warning lights all over the dash and a wiring problem that could have, and I quote, "caused the car to burst into flames at any time"(!)

Other than that, the interior is poor quality and badly designed. A shame.

How disappointing, I really like the "look" of them, inside and out. I thought that Alfa had gotten on top QA/QC with the hirings from BMW a few years back, perhaps not. Albeit any car can have faults, in 1 year of A2 ownership mine has thrown up quite a few faults -- albeit none that threaten to set the car ablaze, not so good that (great quote though).
An OSS type roof is a must have for me, almost above all else. I know that the V40 has a glass roof option but... don't think that it opens. The Cross Country is a good looking car, hadn't seen it before I don't think.

Volvo-V40-2012-Hatchback-02.jpg

The Freelander engine is a 2.2 unit shared with PSA which has morphed into a JLR specific unit albeit still Ford supplied. The 'new' MINI mk3 will have a new 3cyl diesel which I think will be shared with PSA but presumably not Ford..... however the Chinese are about to buy a large chunk of PSA to save it from bankruptcy so how that will affect all the various deals (PSA are also in a deal to jointly share car development with GM.....) remains to be seen.

The V40 Cross Country is a new variant.

How disappointing, I really like the "look" of them, inside and out. I thought that Alfa had gotten on top QA/QC with the hirings from BMW a few years back, perhaps not.

It's the little details - no proper storage or cup holders. And the sun visors are either horizontal (ineffective) or vertical (blocking your vision!). And then there's the terrible rear headroom - the c pillars curve in where your head should be!

Great looking car though ;)

Test driving 3 cars today , the Volvo V40 Cross Country , Mercedes A Class and the BMW 1 Series. From my research I think the Volvo will be the better car , the Volvo is more spacious than the other two and has more safety features which is a must for my family, also fuel consumption is better.

Wish me luck .

Test driving 3 cars today , the Volvo V40 Cross Country , Mercedes A Class and the BMW 1 Series. From my research I think the Volvo will be the better car , the Volvo is more spacious than the other two and has more safety features which is a must for my family, also fuel consumption is better.

Wish me luck .

We have a Volvo V50 1.6D DRIVe that replaced our A2 TDi. Ours is the older 109PS version but the engine is largely the same. It is indeed the Ford/PSA developed unit. The V40XC won't be a million miles of the weight of the V50, perhaps slightly lighter, and I'd say the performance is perfectly acceptable. You need to give it some revs to move off as there's very little torque until the turbo kicks in in first gear so pulling out of junctions requires some revs to ensure you aren't left languishing in the middle of the road. Once on the move it doesn't struggle for pace for the ordinary driver and the newer V40 will be massively helped for both performance and economy by a 6 speed gearbox. Our 2009 model is only a 5 speed manual. As such, our really struggles to get anywhere near Volvo's MPG claims of over 70mpg. Ours averages 48MPG with a pretty equal mix of town, a-road and motorway driving.

The only thing to check out prior to buying one is look into what DPF technology it has. If you are doing short trips in town all the time don't even consider the 1.6D as the particulate filter will get blocked up and will never regenerate as it requires a decent motorway run at high exhaust temperature to regenerate the DPF. Our 2009 is a wet DPF and has an EOLYS fluid tank under the rear axle that is used to assist regeneration as the 1.6D is too small to generate enough heat in the exhaust alone to regenerate and burn off the soot. Later models may use a dry DPF, and if they do that's good. With the one we have it is:

Every 37,500 miles: EOLYS fluid top up @ £150 for fluid alone
Every 75,000 miles: DPF replacement and EOLYS fluid top up @ ~£800 including parts and labour

Ask the dealer to confirm from the vehicle's service schedule what the service requirements are regarding the DPF. I'm not saying it should put you off, just making sure you're aware of the implications should it have a wet DPF such as ours has.

Iain

Thanks. Ended up test driving the Mercedes B Class B200 Sport, gorgeous car and alot more sporty than the V40 and it's the 1.8 diesel.

Back