Vote the conservatives in !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jon.od

Who else saw the ten O`Clock news last night?

The conservatives CLAIMED that if
re-elected they would raise the national speed limit to 80Mph and abolish speed cameras!

And no doubt the Lib Dems will promise 100,000 police on the streets, a 76% reduction in council tax and zero road tax for Audi A2's.......

What have Labour promised us....and not delivered.....

Oh this is getting too deep for my liking!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Agree with 80mph, but not abolish speed cameras, they do a job and catch speeders. Sorry, but I have always believed that speed cameras are perfectly just and only people who speed have to worry. Simple solution is don't speed. After seeing someone knocked down (killed) by a speeding car I have little or no sympathy with people who get points for it. I could be swayed by the argument that speed cameras on Motorways would be better deployed where pedestrians are around, but I'm all for them. I am also a believe in docking points rather than financial penalties, after all money to some is nothing, but restriction of freedom is another matter.

Can't wait for all the flames I'm bound to get now, but just expressing my opinion.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

The theory behind speed cameras is sound but IMO the majority are positioned to raise funds and not reduce accidents.

Why have speed cameras on wide open roads with no history of being dangerous if not to raise yet more money from Joe Bloggs Driver once again?

After this latest government, I take all pre-election pledges with a pinch of salt now. I'll believe it when it happens.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm

Agree that I'd rather see them on roads with pavements, etc. than motorways. Even so, you don't have to pay fines if you don't speed; tax, etc. you have to pay no matter what.

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

The motorway limit should stay at 70mph. The reason I say this is because there are enough drivers out there who struggle to drive at 70mph, ie the old/begginer drivers and HGV'S which are restricted to 65mph, by upping the limit this will force more car user's to overtake and increase the risk of accidents occuring.

Anybody share the samw view or am I on my own with this one?[5]

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

If lane discipline was obeyed by all drivers on motorways, they would run a lot free-er (plus cut down on frustration) and this would enable higher speeds to be maintained more easily.

On the subject of speed cameras, my gripe is with the ones which catch you doing 33 in a 30 zone at 2 in the morning. Get real Police out on the roads to catch the gits hogging the middle lane or swerving all over the place while on his phone, eating a Big Mac and tuning the stereo.

While I'm on a roll - are children taught how to cross roads nowadays? When I was at school, it was drummed into us to follow the Green Cross Code. Children today seem to have no knowledge of how to cross safely - therefore leading to more and more speed restrictions. Most of you have probably seen the advert on TV with the child getting run over because the car was doing 35 or 40 instead of 30. My thought is always 'why wasn't he watching the road, he should have been looking from left to right to see if any traffic was coming'.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm

Speed camera's yes-positions often no. Our local authority can't afford many, and the positions they put them in.....mmmmmm.
And where there are camera's, plenty of reminders of the speed limit-I've said it before, but when your in a new area, looking for things, watching for hazards, why can't they put a few more speed signs up so that your reminded of the limit. One of my gripes. And you cant often judge the limit as some roads you would think are 60mph are 40mph.

And Rob I do agree-pedestrians in general-and of course cyclists. You don't see many TV "adverts" about crossing the road anymore!.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

[3]Get real and vote for the party with NO [17] politicians and who will put in place a Minister for Transport who
a knows his @**e from his elbow
b Possesses a driving licence
c Is not misguided
d Believes in INTGRATED transport
c Develops rail for freight traffic

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

Well, thats's me, I guess I'll just have to stand for Parliament and volunteer for Min of Tran, that's of course if Mal doesnt think I'm too old. Rpedestrians and crossingthe road, how could they sue you if they look bothways and don't have an accident?
How about banning mobile phones whilst driving? I see about 30% of drivers on a mobile phone in a very busy area, with road works, school kids and roundabouts every morning when I take the dog for a walk. But you must admire the ones who can drive the car, use the phone, eat a sandwich and listen to the radio at full blast with the window open all at the same time.
String 'em up its the only language they understand!

quote:Originally posted by runboy

..why can't they put a few more speed signs up so that your reminded of the limit.

Agree.

It may sound like an excuse, however even in my own town sometimes I have to really think twice about the speed limit on some roads. Over the years, many road limits in my area have been reduced, and I sometimes I find myself thinking the limit is 40, when it has now been changed to 30. Of course as soon as I find myself unsure I reduce speed, however it could be too late.

I am no angel, however in 12 years have never been caught for speeding. I do speed on motorways and some A roads, however am a stickler for keeping to limits in and around towns. For this reason I class myself a good driver (plus the fact I seem to be one of very few people who indicate when required - i.e. when turning - God, it really annoys me that hardly anyone else ever bothers indicating [15])

I personally dont believe the limit should be changed. If you want to drive fast, then go to a track day - its safe and legal. If you choose to speed on public roads, then you have to appreciate that people may get killed - by you or me.

On the other hand, I find the preciseness of speeding fines a little annoying. Recently my Mother was fined for speeding (I think it was about 33/34 in a 30 zone). I found it quite infuriating as she has to be one of the safest people I know in a car - much safer than me.
She turned right onto a busy 'A' Road, only to drive about 200 metres before having to turn left. In order to get out safely between the traffic she accelerated just over the limit before indicating and breaking. The police were just past the junction she was turning left into, and stopped her immediately. She was so embarassed when she told me - I felt really sorry for her.
She knew they were just doing there job, and she was in the wrong however she also felt she had been tricked. I just wish I had been caught and not her as I deserve it more.

Kaine

I totally agree with the timing of speed cameras i myself have two convictions for speeding neither on a camera (Polishing the pine) but both have been a silly hours of the morning on dry illuminated EMPTY motorways.

My second conviction was a farce as the unmarked Octavia RS had been pushing me into a race and i lapsed and gave him one.

I don`t think the driving test is comprehensive enough either as we are all aware all you learn is to control a car but not how to drive it or any road craft, the new hazard perception video game is better but not enough.

I was probably a complete A@se when i first passed my test it wasn`t until i got caught speeding in my school car park (Gravel, What can is say) and me and a group of freinds got to watch some pretty nice videos, They make you think!

THink they should be part of the learning to drive process

Guess i did pick up one or two things at school

[26]What about banning all Opel Corsa's more than five years old and shooting anyone who weras a baseball cap backwards

Your mind is best used like a parachute - OPEN
The UK does not have bad weather - we have the wrong clothes

Originally posted by maersk

[26]What about banning all Opel Corsa's more than five years old and shooting anyone who weras a baseball cap backwards

Harsh But Fair:)

Hollyrescue - I didn't mean all old people but there are some out there who shouldn't be on the road. There are also some younger</u> people who shouldn't be on the road as well.

A way to solve bad driving is to make everybody sit a refresher test say every 10-15 years.

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

The date for not using mobiles whilst driving is December, but the legislation is not worth a light. At our last council meeting the police representative said that driving without tax ,insurance or MOT was not a priority with the Met police. In other words they are not interested, so do you really see them worrying about mobile phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back