water in headlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
[2] I'm currently having a bit of an argument with my dealer about my faulty headlight. My passenger side headlight is really quite bad for steaming up and condensation on the inside of the glass, but they just keep fobbing me off with weak excuses!!

The thing is they say that it's nothing to worry about all cars do it and it's due to atmospheric changes. I say '[4]!' as my drivers headlight is perfect (the way it should be!!), so if that's the way the headlights are supposed to be why does the drivers side one not do it?! There are two issues that bother me about this, the effectiveness of the headlight when filled with water is the first, and the other is what do I tell people when I come to sell my car privately?? It's making my car lose value!

It's a problem which needs to be fixed, and they are even using their short comings as an excuse for not fixing it by telling me 'they all do that, and there's no guarantee that a new headlight will fix it', and that's supposed to make me feel happy about it then and say 'oh,ok then just forget about it', I don't think so!! It makes you wonder how many other problems they are relaxed about?! If they built the headlight the should have the knowledge to fix one!![10]

How many people have this problem affecting them? I think this is the time to phone customer services or Audi UK, cos I'm not spending that amount of money on a car to be fobbed off with lame excuses, and I'm getting very sick and angry now!! :(

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges
visit: http://www.mediacitizen.com/audi

mediacitizen
It's an issue which many a A2 owner has suffered (and other car owners-it does happen to other makes too!). My A2's never had this problem thankfully, and the only car I did notice it on was my SEAT Leon which did it when I washed the car or it rained, but it was only a slight misting at the bottom of the light and then it went shortly afterwards.

I don't know why the A2 suffers more than any other car-big light lense, light closer to engine so gets hotter, lack of air flow...I don't know. But I do know that some A2 owners have had their lights replaced. I think you have a good case as the other light doesn't do it-so why does this. It's like saying "your drivers electric window works, but the passengers doesn't-that's ok!".

I would try another dealer or try Audi UK. I wonder how an MOT would stand?. May be worth a question with a friednly MOT station-if it's a fail you have a cut-and-dry case (or not that dry in your case-excuse the pun).

Who is your dealer in case anyone on here has had the same problem but with better help from the dealer?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

I also thought about taking it to an MOT place to see what they say about it, as I'm not sure that it would pass??

My dealer is Lookers Audi : Thornaby.

My theory is that the light seal is perfect on the drivers side but not on the passenger side.

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges
visit: http://www.mediacitizen.com/audi

We had this problem on one of the lights - quite heavy misting leading to full drops of water. Once our dealers (Whitehouse Aylesford) had seen the extent of the problem, they agreed to replace it under warranty.
Have you tried other dealers to see what their stance is?

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 on order. Only a month to go now - Ebony Black, Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

they told me the following:

Mist is no reason to change the headlights under warranty
Drops on the inside are, since they limit or alter the lightbeam

Personally I think that if they remove the lamp, dry the inside and refit the lamp in a dry atmosphere the problem is also fixed.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

My headlights were replaced twice in the guarantee period.
When the same thing happened again last spring *(no more guarantee) I took out the complete lamp myself dismantled the rubbers put on a sort of spray to keep them dry *(kind of talk powder) Put the light back in and ever since no more foggy headlight.
It is very easy realy you just need a tork screwdriver *(like a star)take of the hood be careful and patient the whole job with 2 light s will take 45 minutes at most.
JEFF

Jeff Huisman
yoyoman.jpg

2000 silver coloured A2
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe5.htm

I had the same problem on my first A2, a 2001 Y reg. The driver side unit misted up quite badly and the nearside unit did mist up but this used to evaporate quite quickly. I pointed this out to the dealer, Franklin, Leeds who didn't have any replacements in stock. I thought they'd replace the driver side unit as this was the one I was concerned about. When I collected the car they had replaced both headlights. The car was about 8 months old at the time. I didn't have to argue my case at all.

I'd forget your dealer Michael and try elsewhere. Seems they are talking out of their backsides. All other matters aside a misted headlight looks pretty awful.

I remember my dad mentioning something he saw on the telly regarding the misting up of headlights, though not Audi in particular, the top and the bottom of it was the seals. The solution being to go around the seals with that clear bathroom silicone sealant, available from most DIY stores.

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

This is not just an A2 issue, alot of manufactures are having the same problem. It's just a build up of condensation as the lights get so hot and being sealed with no or little ventilation.

Some manufactures have put drain holes in to try and stop this. It's a shame as it spoils the looks of the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back