Water pump?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Hmm - just been checking my car's service record - before I bought it, the cambelt was changed at 80,000 miles, along with a "cambelt service kit" supplied - but I can see no indication that the water pump was changed at the same time (which would have been the sensible thing to do).

Any thoughts? Is it going to detonate on me anytime soon? Is this a straigthforward job for home service, or should I take it to a friendly non-stealer mechanic to do?

The water pump is driven by the cambelt so labour wise, replacement is almost as involved as changing the belt. Water pumps don't normally self destruct so you usually get some warning as the seals leak first and you start loosing coolant. Some club members have had problems with the pump impeller coming loose on the shaft, causing overheating at higher speeds but overall many pumps last to the second cambelt change.
If you need to change the pump early then it makes sense to get the cambelt done at the same time

Cheers Spike

I know that's what's frustrating - they took the time to do the cambelt but didn't do the pump at the same time. I haven't checked for any signs of leakage but I'm not particularly worried don't think ther'es a pressing need to change it right now.

Back