Water temp needle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil

Good day all,

I appologise in advance if this has been asked before, but has anyone had their water temp dial on the dash doing mexican waves?

Over the last month or so, the needle has either been bang on over 90 (like it should) or hang permanently on the marking to the left of 90. Check my detailed diagram: (60 I I* 90 I I 120)

I could put up with this until this week, the dial has no even risen after 45 mins driving, then my next journey it went up, then down then up..... you get the idea.

It has never gone over 90. (phew) and the DIS says the water temp is all OK. I can put up with it as long as it is the dial or a connection to it.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem or if they had it sorted without warranty, how much it cost?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas. ;)

Neil

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

Nope not happened to me before... Hope you get it sorted and Merry Xmas to you too!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Hi Neil
Very familiar with your temp.gauge symptoms. Had identical phenomenon with my previous A2, a 1.4 petrol SE.
Was cured very efficiently by the mobile "On Call" guys who diagnosed and replaced a faulty sender unit (it takes the temp of the coolant from the engine block - a simple screw-in device).
I asked the mechanic if it was a common failing and he said it wasn't, at least as far as the A2 is concerned. He did however say that the (same)part was known to fail on A4's.

Regards

Ian - 2004 tdi se 90, prev 2001 1.4 se petrol

Cheers Ian, I'll have a wiggle see if it makes a difference. It has (touch wood) played ball for the last couple of weeks. Failing that, i'll order one and have a go without paying a fortune for labour.

Many Thanks again!

Neil Howells
A2 1.4 SE - Atlantic Blue
Symphony Radio, Electronic A/C

Hi Neil
I am beginning to notice my Temperature gauge, after doing about six miles at about seventy mph the needle sometimes struggles to point straight up (it does eventually) especially if I turn on the interior heating blower (blower on low speed) when I turn on the blower the needle drops ,which seems to be taking heat away from the engine (which it should I know) but on low speed!.Also I went on a very short journey recenly (about two miles) on a cold night and when I parked the car I could hear the cooling fan start up under the bonnet ,as if I had just completed a long journey,which doesn't seem right as the engine wasn't warmed up properly.So I think I might have a problem with my thermostat.

Hi,
Had the same problem with my FSI 2 months ago. Took it to West London Audi and they changed the sender unit under warranty. Fully recommend using them if you can, service is great, car was offered for the day even though it only took them an hour and a half!. They even washed my car inside out!! All at £0. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back