Webasto Gremlins

steveb

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
My Webasto is not cutting in , it has no faults and runs and heats the cooling system if i switch it on with VCDS . However on a cold morning it does not switch on . Switching econ on and off does not encourage it to start. (it's on Auto all the time anyway)

So it works, but it is not being switched on by the climate unit, which itself is showing the correct temp for it to start. (as is the internal temp sensor in the webasto)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Steve

What external temps are you seeing? I wouldn't expect it to come on if it's reading 8°C or above. I've only had mine come on one morning so far this Autumn.

Sounds like what happened with mine last winter (if we forget the other comedy smoke issues related to vegetable oil remains in the fuel supply line!).

Exactly the same symptoms - could run it through the diagnostic tools startup with my ODB reader but it wouldn't do it on its own when all other environmental conditions apparently conducive to Webasto startup. No faults detected in the Webasto.

However, as I realised at the time, my ODB reader doesn't speak to Climatronic. My VCDS-lite does - and through this was able to identify the usual pile of flap-position-related errors and voltage-drop related errors from the battery going flat, the known G65 a/c pressure sensor fault and a couple of others, all of which cleared except the G65 (a known problem because the sensor is broken into two halves). Once all of these had been cleared 2-3 times in VCDS, only the G65 remained (which with luck WOM are fixing this next week or so). After the VCDS session, following morning the Webasto started up first time without any hesitation.

So - have you checked for / cleared errors in the HVAC system (rather than Webasto itself)?

I will be watching with interest, gave up trying to get mine running last winter. had exactly same issue as Steveb, Webasto works when fired up using odb reader, but not automatically. i did sort the G65 and clear all the codes, but never got it working...currently have no gas in A/C - so once that is sorted will try to get the webasto up and running. might even resort to swapping in a known good replacement Webasto unit...

Sounds like what happened with mine last winter (if we forget the other comedy smoke issues related to vegetable oil remains in the fuel supply line!).

Exactly the same symptoms - could run it through the diagnostic tools startup with my ODB reader but it wouldn't do it on its own when all other environmental conditions apparently conducive to Webasto startup. No faults detected in the Webasto.

However, as I realised at the time, my ODB reader doesn't speak to Climatronic. My VCDS-lite does - and through this was able to identify the usual pile of flap-position-related errors and voltage-drop related errors from the battery going flat, the known G65 a/c pressure sensor fault and a couple of others, all of which cleared except the G65 (a known problem because the sensor is broken into two halves). Once all of these had been cleared 2-3 times in VCDS, only the G65 remained (which with luck WOM are fixing this next week or so). After the VCDS session, following morning the Webasto started up first time without any hesitation.

So - have you checked for / cleared errors in the HVAC system (rather than Webasto itself)?
I'm using VCDS to test run the webasto. I gave it another scan today and cleared the usual flap falts, see what happens next time it's cold enough for it to cut in

That's interesting info here, as I had some AC faults on new to me A2 initially ( evaporator temp sensor, G65 sensor fault) and all faulty sensors are replaced and AC is working fine... I wish to check webasto now as I've cleared existing faults. Can I have some advise on how can I "ask" webasto to start having access to VCDS or obd readers?

That's interesting info here, as I had some AC faults on new to me A2 initially ( evaporator temp sensor, G65 sensor fault) and all faulty sensors are replaced and AC is working fine... I wish to check webasto now as I've cleared existing faults. Can I have some advise on how can I "ask" webasto to start having access to VCDS or obd readers?
On my ODB reader in the ECU options list (ie Engine, Dashboard and so on), there is one that is "Auxiliary Heat". That's the one I use to access the few bits of information available from the Webasto control unit.

On my ODB reader in the ECU options list (ie Engine, Dashboard and so on), there is one that is "Auxiliary Heat". That's the one I use to access the few bits of information available from the Webasto control unit.
yeah seen this but....on my vcds version there is no labels under value fields ...so called labels file is not available...i guess you dont have a screen shot how your Auxiliary Heat pages look like?

I don't have either reader or the car with Webasto easily to hand (reader at home, car at WOM) - on the ODB the page looks no different to any other page - a list of sub-menus including options for diagnostics, readings, adaptation, login and so on. On the readings menu you get around 6 or 7 pages with 3 pieces of information each (some are meaningless, others are a combination of things like external / coolant temperatures and also readiness/activation status of the heater etc.). From memory the same pieces of information are visible on the Webasto page on my VCDS lite edition, but in that I don't have the option of running the self-test etc. in the demo version, so I tend to use the ODB for everything except resetting errors in Climatronic which the reader doesn't speak to.

I will be watching with interest, gave up trying to get mine running last winter. had exactly same issue as Steveb, Webasto works when fired up using odb reader, but not automatically. i did sort the G65 and clear all the codes, but never got it working...currently have no gas in A/C - so once that is sorted will try to get the webasto up and running. might even resort to swapping in a known good replacement Webasto unit...
I'm getting that if climatronic panel would be faulty this could stop webasto to kick in when temp is low, but will fact that ac is empty and doesnt start would stop operation of webasto when climatronic is operational?

I wouldn't think the aircon not working would effect the webasto.

VCDS Test run of the webasto, do an output test first to check all is working and that there are no fault codes.

Self test

Controller 18
Basic settings
Select Group 22
Press go, this should fire up the webasto, *remember there is no pump so advisable to have the engine running if you are going to have it running for any length of time*

You can switch to measuring blocks 001 002 and 003 to see voltages etc .

Note, if you get the start up bit wrong or it doesn't start and you want to try again you might need to come out of the controller and back in again

Biggest issue with the Webasto is getting it to light and stay lit with the stale fuel in the line. When the Webasto shuts down at the start of warmer temperatures the diesel that is in its fuel line will sit there all "summer" and that is the stale fuel that makes the first colder start harder or even not at all. Such a shame that you can not purge this line automatically with fresh fuel before it tries to ignite.

@steveb go into Engine Control Unit on VCDS, and check block 16 (I think, or the one that talks about Auxillary heat) and post your results in here. The Engine ECU is what ultimately commands the Webasto, and with block 16 you can check if the "on" signal is being sent, and if not, what's blocking it. Note the VCDS note is wrong so I'll explain it when you post it up :)

Back