Weeny A2

It`s almost sensational, that a well kept A2 is better than any car on the marked today.
Easy to get in and out of, easy to keep clean, everything seems to be thought through in this masterclassroom.

When I bought the car, I asked the salesman, is it something wrong with the A2?
Yes, he said; the ashtray.
A few things could be added, but that is not to blame the team that made the A2, I think.

A2 is a very good small car. However, I recently bought my son a 2016 Polo. It rides better, is more comfortable, is better equipped, has more efficient engines. But it is made from steel.

2016 Polo is probably not a bad choice for a small car today, but not so easy to compare directly with a 2000-05 car.
And not to the A2.
A Boxfresh A2, and a 2016 Polo could be put up for a comfort comparison maybe, but still not.
Design, economy, efficiency, necessary/not necessary equippement.It is not very comparable, a A2 produced today, would also cost 35% more than a 2021 Polo.
In Germany the entry price for a Golf and a A2 was at the same level.
I am not a great fan of vw, last time I was inside one; stupid alert sounds, piano lacquer, combined with hard plastic, hollow sounds in panels.Rust on engine parts on a 3 week old car etc.

You really get the feeling of cost cuts, and that parts should fit another vw model.
Opposite the A2.(Audi lost appr. 5000£ for every car.)
Keeping out that the A2 TDI has two engine oilfill caps ;)
I think that the develompment of the A2 was a unikum,
and had an impact inside Audi, and in the automotive industry as well.
Just consider the fact, that Audi left out the"2"model name for 10 years, until Q2 came along.
A1 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8

Last edited:
@Fredaudi I must admit I had the same perceptions of VW. The last time I looked at one was when I ordered my A2. A2 and an equivalent spec Polo were the same price. A2 was then a far superior car and dealers were discounting A2s. The Polo was my sons choice, I expected an inferior car But was pleasantly surprised. A2 is still a very good small car but not the best ever.
Another one, sold as a medium car but is now small, lacking safety features but better than an A2 in most other respects; a Mk2 Golf

Maybe I am overly negative to vw, and I would be careful to say, the A2 is the best car ever, but to convince me that a Mk2 Golf is a better car "in most other respects" compared with the A2, would take you a long time.
This forum is probably not the right place to convince anybody about that.. :)

I liked it until I decided to take a closer look at the passenger window.
It is certainly well put together.
16296309125587917756738004132771.jpg

Something went ping but I managed to put the window up.
Trying to fix it isn't for the faint hearted. Lol.
Still a great car though.

The regulator is naffed. It’s come off it’s runner. It’s easier to chnage the whole frame including the glass. 4 torx bolts once you’ve got as far as you have. I can supply one if you want, pm me.

The regulator is naffed. It’s come off it’s runner. It’s easier to chnage the whole frame including the glass. 4 torx bolts once you’ve got as far as you have. I can supply one if you want, pm me.
This is the easiest option. If you change the regulator only you need a bestie of a pop-rivet gun. It all needs to be sealed properly too otherwise you get mouldy door cards.

This is the easiest option. If you change the regulator only you need a bestie of a pop-rivet gun. It all needs to be sealed properly too otherwise you get mouldy door cards.
Hello there. I would like to order one next month. Could you tell me where these bolts are? And what size pop rivet gun is required? It will be a nearside front door mechanism I require.
Thank you very much.

Audironald

A2 is a very good small car. However, I recently bought my son a 2016 Polo. It rides better, is more comfortable, is better equipped, has more efficient engines. But it is made from steel.
You should print off your thoughts ie Polo v A2 and put it along with the vehicle documents..... you should then look at the Polo in 2036 (if it survives that long??) and compare it with the current batch of 20 year old A2s...... only one winner really. I have had 7 golfs since 2000 (gave up the golfs in 2019) doubt many (if any) are as good as my 2004 CS.

Hello there. I would like to order one next month. Could you tell me where these bolts are? And what size pop rivet gun is required? It will be a nearside front door mechanism I require.
Thank you very much.

Audironald
Hi Audironald,
You would need a set of Record Lazy Tongs then or a pneumatic gun.
Keith.

Back