Weird engine management light

Deadman

So after spending god knows how long waxing and polishing I drive off to enjoy the sparkle.

I parked on a fairly steep hill (facing upwards) poped in a pub for lunch, diet coke only of course.

Afterwards, maybe 40 mins later I come back, do a reverse 3 point turn and head back off down the hill.

It is then that I notice that the engine management light come on!
b****r, after being so nice to the car all weekend, so now I have the right hump.

Park a short distance away, and leave the car for perhaps 2 hours, come back and the light of course is still there. Drive another 8 miles and park up.

After 3 more hours I come back to drive home, turn on the ignition... the light goes off!

WTF?

I drive 40 miles, no return of the light... but its left me nervous that it might come back and confused as to why it came in the first place.

Does anyone have a similar tale?
Could the parking on the hill have triggered it - liquids at angle triggered sensors of something?

Any replies gratefully received.

Last edited:
As usual, engine management light can be anything, your best bet is to get a diagnostic done and look at the fault codes. I'm on the opposite side of town, may be if you travel to the north east side, Sarge can help?

Hopefully, if it drives fine, it is nothing more than an intermitten signal of some sort and is cheap to fix.

As usual, engine management light can be anything, your best bet is to get a diagnostic done and look at the fault codes. I'm on the opposite side of town, may be if you travel to the north east side, Sarge can help?

Hopefully, if it drives fine, it is nothing more than an intermitten signal of some sort and is cheap to fix.

Cheers humps,

i'm hoping that as the light has gone again (and as it's only just had a long life service at an Audi garage, all is ok. Bit freaked out, but maybe it's just an oddity so will keep fingers crossed that it doesn't come back –*ever.

I will try it again tonight when I get home and if it's still off i'll relax, a little.

Otherwise i'll be knocking at Sarge's door! :D

Your most welcome mate! :D

Cheers

SARGE

Sarge,

In you experience could this just be a weird computer glitch or something that will come back sooner rather than later? Do you think it's worth getting you to check it, even though it has now gone again?

I'm torn!

With intermittent types of faults, you can't really say. It could have been something silly, which corrected itself, like a sensor reading.

If it continues to niggle at you, then for your own peace of mind, its best to run a scan, yet others won't bother till it arises again, if at all. :)

The fault should be recorded, therefore a scan should reveal the culprit. :D

Cheers

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
With intermittent types of faults, you can't really say. It could have been something silly, which corrected itself, like a sensor reading.

If it continues to niggle at you, then for your own peace of mind, its best to run a scan, yet others won't bother till it arises again, if at all. :)

The fault should be recorded, therefore a scan should reveal the culprit. :D

Cheers

SARGE

Thanks again Sarge,

I'm hoping it was the sensor reading that then corrected itself.

I will leave it at the moment and keep an eye on it, however if anything does re-occur then i'll be PMing you in an instant! :D

Fingers crossed/touch wood

Back