Well, had it a week so far...

Trig

Missus decided that the previous vehicle had to go (3.2 V6 Isuzu Trooper, PETROL :eek: )..
I didnt want the flippin thing in the first place and had seen a nice N plate A4 Estate sport thing in blue but she saw the Trooper and had to have it, as you can imagine the fuel economy was terrible, ~320miles to a tank @ £70 a tank.....

Well she found a nice little black X plate A2, 46k, 1.4 Petrol.

So far I like it actually, it handles well, it feels like a bigger car on the inside and for the £30 it cost to fill it up it gave us 240miles and that was with a trip up the motorway to Ikea and back so much better than the Trooper ever would of done.

I must say I was amused by the little sun blind behind the rear view mirror (sad I know but I like quirky little things) and its not as gutless as you;d think being a 1.4..
However, the blind spot caused by the pillars, crikey!
No feedback thru the pedals, maybe its just me being fussy or having previously owned Vauxhalls where you get feedback thru the brakes and the clutch.
No washer bottle empty warning?! Whats that all about, my old G plate Cav had one of them....
Driver storage, the little cubby under the stereo, big enough but no lip on it really so if you have to accelerate whatevers in there ends up not in there..
6th gear, not got one, a shame really as even this little 1.4 would be loads better if it had a 6th for when your on the motorway...
Rear window heater, when its on the radio's useless, this a common easy to fix thing.
Headlight, bulbs gone, old car less than 5 minute job, seems from the guide that aint so on this puppy..

Oh and one other thing, when we got the car it only came with one key, is it possible to just buy a blank from eBay or similar get it cut and then do some get in the car press a few buttons thing?
Would it also be possible to re-encode the alarm/immobiliser so if someone turned up with the "other" key we dont have they could unlock the car with said key but do b****r all else?

Here are a few neat things about the a2

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3512

The washer empty warning is on the a2 but only versions of the car that has DIS.

The radio and rear heats work fine together on mine.

It will take you about 10-15 minutes to change the bulb .

You can get a tray to place where the handbrake is to store items instead of the cubby (stowage tray).

Hello Trig,

The rear window heater/radio fault is known on early examples and yours is one of the first. It may be possible to rectify this with replacement aerial amplifiers, but I'm not sure.

As for the key, you can buy a blank and get it cut and it'll work to open the doors, but that's it. To get a new transponder chip fitted or recode the original one to work with the immobiliser is a dealer only job I'm afraid. They'll also advise you on the best way to counteract the missing original key from being able to be used too.

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Trig,

The rear window heater/radio fault is known on early examples and yours is one of the first. It may be possible to rectify this with replacement aerial amplifiers, but I'm not sure.

As for the key, you can buy a blank and get it cut and it'll work to open the doors, but that's it. To get a new transponder chip fitted or recode the original one to work with the immobiliser is a dealer only job I'm afraid. They'll also advise you on the best way to counteract the missing original key from being able to be used too.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike, will have to check who the local stealer is and see what they say re the key thing, as for the aerial amp, ideas on its location?
Probably lookint at changing the head unit for something black with red lighting like the stock unit + BT/mp3 etc..

Cheers Mike, will have to check who the local stealer is and see what they say re the key thing, as for the aerial amp, ideas on its location?
Probably lookint at changing the head unit for something black with red lighting like the stock unit + BT/mp3 etc..

The aerial amps are behind the boot trim and there are (up to) 4 of them

As for the stowage tray, take a look at www.vagparts.com as they are much cheaper from there as opposed to a dealer, even with postage on top.

Cheers,

Mike

The aerial amps are behind the boot trim and there are (up to) 4 of them

As for the stowage tray, take a look at www.vagparts.com as they are much cheaper from there as opposed to a dealer, even with postage on top.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks again, will have a proper look in the morning, the rear one looks like a good addon, couldnt find the one for the front as my bit near the handbrakes different...

Trig
Alpine do a cd/radio/ipod stereo which illuminates red. I have one of them and the only thing i could moan about is that it leaves the top of the DIS blank (if you have the full version). Sometime next year there will be a connector for about £50 which will solve this

Trig
Alpine do a cd/radio/ipod stereo which illuminates red. I have one of them and the only thing i could moan about is that it leaves the top of the DIS blank (if you have the full version). Sometime next year there will be a connector for about £50 which will solve this

DIS?
Do I have one of them on my early A2?
Dont suppose you can remember which model the stereo is?

Ta

DIS?
Do I have one of them on my early A2?
Ta

Look at the little readout between the speedo and rev counter. If there is a black bar halfway down it, then you don't have DIS. If you do have DIS, you'll also have extra buttons on the wiper stalk.

Cheers,

Mike

Look at the little readout between the speedo and rev counter. If there is a black bar halfway down it, then you don't have DIS. If you do have DIS, you'll also have extra buttons on the wiper stalk.

Cheers,

Mike

No extra buttons on the wiper stalk, I did check that when I was reading thru the manual and changing the temp settings/clock etc...

Well finally had enought decent weather to change the bulb, glad I've got small hands and the missus didnt mind me borrowing a mirror so I could see what I was doing..

Bonnets lighter than I was expecting, as was the amount of space under the front, I know its only a 1.4 but its pretty uncluttered under there..

Impressive! My hands are to big for that. I remove the entire headlight (only two bolts) when changing bulbs.

Back