Well i'm sorry to say.....

m i k e

...this but i've gone and been a traitor! It's now time for me to move on to an S-Line 2005 A3 2.0 tdi DSG. Since starting my new job just over 4 months ago i needed a bigger car and had the need for a diesel with the mileage i'm doing these days. Did a deal with Macclesfield Audi today for this beaut which i should get around the 11th Dec.

One thing I want to say is thanks very much for the advice and help i've received from this forum, you've been a massive help! And a special thanks to Mike who i've met on numerous occasions when he's gone out of his way to help me out!

So the A2 has gone in part ex and I will now have a few bits surplus like:

- a spare wheel (16" SE, which could do with a refurb, although if your interested i could possibly get this refurbished for you for around £40 with one of the spare tyres fitted!)

- two spare toyo proxes tyres!

- vibe cbr12 active subwoofer, which had been wired into my factory fitted concert head unit.

If anyone is interested gimme a shout!

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry to see you going Mike, but at least you're keeping it 'Audi', even if it is an inferior model;)

Hope that Macc Audi will be promoting the A2OC to the new owner, you'll have to remind them when you pick up the A3.

See you around, give me a flash when you see me, I do tend to be quite recognisable on the streets of Manchster!

Cheers,

Mike

Definately will do Mike and thanks! I'll get back with somem piccys once i've got my new one and will still no doubt snoop the forum if you fellow A2 drivers don't mind! I meant to ask also if you are able to fit cruise control to these A3s Mike?

In time i'll most likely get the car remapped, and i'm wondering whether this is worth risking the likes of the warranty and parts, etc? Could Audi pick up on the remap if anything went on it? Like the turbo or burst hoses, etc?

Cheers,

Mike

The remap on the A3 will give impressive rersults - a lot of tuners are experiencing issues with the newer 170 with dpf (or whatever its called). If you were to use something like the SUperchip bluefin then you can switch back to stock before it goes to a dealer, superchips have overcome the flash counter issues they have, so its as close to undetectable as you can get.

Another alternative is that some dealerships like Northampton Audi will offer a mapp service with full insurance backed warrenty that covers anything that is not Audi warrenty covered - its not cheap but then it at an Audi dealer - nother ever is!!!

As with all remaps - none are completely undetectable, chances are no main dealer would ever notice, but you can minimiuse the chances of them getting funny by either having a switchable version or getting them to do it!

Cruise can be done - assuming yours is the same inside as my S3 then you will need a new lower partion for the steering column, plus the additional stalk to fit.

Audi-accessories have been cheap for these in the past.

Hi Mike,

I can do the cruise for your new car, but I'll need the VIN number, as there are about 3 different options as to what electronics module (if any) is required, and as yours is a 'cross-over' model, i.e. new shape but old style grille, then the only way to check is via VIN.

As Shao says, you'll need an additional switch and new lower cowl as a minimum.

Cheers,

Mike

It is a shame, I will miss the car a fair bit when it's gone, but it was a no brainer for me to not trade it on or even swap it in for a diesel A2 and i've always liked the looks of the newer A3s!

So how come you don't get on with the DSG ULP? Is there anything i should keep an eye out for?

Any ideas on price Mike? As that would be something i'd definately be interested in for the future!

Enjoy your new car. I had a 2004 GSG for three years and was very pleased with it. I still miss the DSG box despite its foibles. I had two boxes in my car. On sweeping roads the box is superb when pressing on. It is good in stop start city traffic. Where it has a 'problem' is the 70% of the time it is doinf neither. It can be fooled when approaching roundabouts in 'auto' 'cos it thinks you are stopping - solution? use it in manual. It is good at masking the narrow power band of the TDI engine, especially in the lower gears.

Enjoy.

PS I know have a manual.....................

Hmmm interesting and something i will look out for, many thanks! At only 22 i'm yet to get a proper go in an auto/semi-auto and see how it handles in everyday driving!

Any ideas on price Mike? As that would be something i'd definately be interested in for the future!

Based on the fact that the new car doesn't have a multifunction steering wheel, it is unlikely that the cruise capable electronics unit is fitted, so you'll need a new one of them, plus the stalk and the new lower cowl. Parts alone total £182.14 + VAT (£214.01 inc) so with a little bit for labour (about 2 1/2 hours as I'll need to remove the wipers and motor!) you're looking at £250 as a worst case scenario.

Drop me the VIN in a PM when you get the chance and I'll double check this for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Based on the fact that the new car doesn't have a multifunction steering wheel, it is unlikely that the cruise capable electronics unit is fitted, so you'll need a new one of them, plus the stalk and the new lower cowl. Parts alone total £182.14 + VAT (£214.01 inc) so with a little bit for labour (about 2 1/2 hours as I'll need to remove the wipers and motor!) you're looking at £250 as a worst case scenario.

Drop me the VIN in a PM when you get the chance and I'll double check this for you.

Cheers,

Mike

Hmmmm interesting it's most likely something i'd consider after xmas plus i don't have the car yet and won't until around the 11th but i will get back to, thanks again Mike! Helpful as always!

Back