What are the gaps for?

Having just bought my car and no experience of them, there are some gaps/bits missing under the boot floor.
Can someone shed some light on it please?
I also seem to have a very small (cheap) battery for a TDI, and no clamp.
Theres also a hole in the l/d side, what is that for?

IMG_20230227_163233117~2.jpg
IMG_20230227_164201234~2.jpg

Battery does look small but, if it works, I'd run with it. Green signal is there so looks healthy.

The Battery does have a clamp, it's the sliding slot thing at the rear, if you lift out the polystyrene with pictures of the wheel on it, you'll see a couple of bolts, these hold in the plastic sheet, which holds in the Battery.

Some wag at audi decided to make the polystyrene lump impossible to remove with removing the rear trim panel. Looks like your polystyrene lump has been unsympathetically modified to allow it to lift out without removing the trim panel.

Battery does look small but, if it works, I'd run with it. Green signal is there so looks healthy.

The Battery does have a clamp, it's the sliding slot thing at the rear, if you lift out the polystyrene with pictures of the wheel on it, you'll see a couple of bolts, these hold in the plastic sheet, which holds in the Battery.

Some wag at audi decided to make the polystyrene lump impossible to remove with removing the rear trim panel. Looks like your polystyrene lump has been unsympathetically modified to allow it to lift out without removing the trim panel.
A ha, thank you for that. I shall take a look again in daylight.
My locking wheel nut bolt is in the ashtray also.

Think you've got answers to all those spaces now, except the empty frame top right in your second shot. I believe very early diesel models had a weight in that space to help even up the front/rear distribution a little, but for most of the production run the frame was fitted to accept a DVD drive for an optional Nav system, so it's almost never occupied, except by whatever you want to put in it. However if your car is far enough through the production run to have a Diversity unit to aid your radio reception, it will be on the outside of the front side of the frame.

Good Evening,

At the end of post 1 you ask

'Theres also a hole in the l/d side, what is that for?"

I expect it's the vent hole to which a small pipe should be connected. The pipe vents to the outside and there to dispose of the noxious/dangerous gases generated inside the battery. You have the pipe, it is the corrugated pipe on left of your picture, seems to go under the horribly deformed trim piece.

Andy

@Andrew makes a very good point here. Check that your battery has the travel plug removed from its top on the left hand side only, with the right-hand one still in place. Then connect the loose end of the ribbed pipe that you can see into the left-hand hole on the battery. This is to vent gases from charging the battery to the outside of the car. If you don't have the other travel plug, maybe someone will have one they can give you, or a local fitting centre might be able to help.

Think you've got answers to all those spaces now, except the empty frame top right in your second shot. I believe very early diesel models had a weight in that space to help even up the front/rear distribution a little, but for most of the production run the frame was fitted to accept a DVD drive for an optional Nav system, so it's almost never occupied, except by whatever you want to put in it. However if your car is far enough through the production run to have a Diversity unit to aid your radio reception, it will be on the outside of the front side of the frame.
Diversity unit, (which uses three aerials in the tailgate to maximise FM signal), was fitted, only if original radio was a Concert. No Diversity with Chorus.
Mac.

What you get in the boot depends on the specification. This is a SE TDi with tow bar and collapsible spare wheel:
IMG_0627.jpg

As RZX:

IMG_0626.jpg

Also cars with long life service intervals were supplied with spare oil, may have been from the first service:

IMG_0628.jpg

There were only 3 different boot tool foams. The original..
boot foam 1.jpg

That as far as I know had no storage for the tow bar unless if fitted under the wheel brace. The second and usually found version..
boot foam 2.JPG

This one has the tow bar storage just above the wheel brace. The third version was for Bose and the tools were located under the front right floor..
bose boot foam.jpg

The spare wheel carrier over the battery was part of the fold flat spare wheel option, the tow bar was an option and the rectangular box was filled with the optional navigation dvd player. The tools and warning triangle / first aid kit and tyre compressor was fitted as standard to all models.

These were fitted regarldless of model spec or engine type

Back