Which tool for DIY Remap on 1.6FSI?

rlc2010

Hi,

I've been scouring the web for remapping tools eg kwp2000 plus etc, but none of them seem to list the 1.6FSI as supported.

Does anyone know which tool (if any) will do this? I'm fairly competent with computers and programming - I should be, it's my job - so want to get in there and mess with settings etc. (although one with some tuned files would also be good, so I can see how they've done it etc)

Don't know which tool to use though.

There seems to be tons out there for the TDI models, but nothing for the 1.6FSI.

Look forward to your suggestions!

;)

If you are after a map on an FSi, I know a chap who can do it for you. However I presume you are not interested in paying someone to do it for you and would rather do it yourself?

If you are intent on doing so, you may want to look at the attempts used for the other VAG cars that have been mapped like the A3 and Polo which have the same engine.

Good luck

Hi Pummy,

Yeah, would prefer to give it a go myself, However, might be still interested in someone else doinf it as a last resort.

If you are, pls PM me and I will give you the details of the chap who may be able to do it for you. I will refrain from putting the website up on here in case I breach any forum rules. This chap will be doing my FSi at some point so if you are a little sceptical, you can wait for a review of what mine is like. If you get any progress on doing it yourself, do keep up posted.

With non-turbo cars a rechip won't make too much difference unless you have done other work to the engine. Expect about 8bhp max, and probably less if the settings aren't optimised on a rolling road.

Cheers Spike

Spike is right. NA chip tuning has minimal benefits for the outlay. I am getting very good mates rates so for me the cost is minimal. If you decide to give it a go yourself, I suppose the fun aspect is more important than out and out power gain.

All that you can really do is to try and ensure the cleanest possible air and doing what you can to increase the volumetric efficiency on the inlet tract.

I apreciate FSi's are non-turbo as i am sure you apreciate the very limited opportunities for mapping an FSi. My comment referred to someone who was re-mapping a TDi (which of course has a turbo) and wanted to fit a turbo dump valve, sorry for mixing you up!

adrian: no probs - easy mistake :)

pummy/spike: yeah, am planning on getting a bmc carbon intake kit and custom high flow exhaust fitted in the next few months too, so hopefully I should be able to squeeze what little I can out of a remap or two. That's the other reason fo wanting to do it myself, so I can keep tweaking it if it's not quite right.

Like I said though, if all else fails, I might just get someone else to do it, but for the moment...still hunting

I'll be interested in the after map performance. Pummy kindly let me put the foot down in his FSI and it felt pretty good. I love that extra 1000rpm over the 1.4 petrol, making the 3rd gear almost 'universal usage' in town. I wonder what a map can do? Better low end or higher peak? If I could have complete control, slightly higher torque at around 3k rpm would do just fine.

When my mate comes back from Portugal, I am going to ask him to play around with mine to see what he can do and what changes he could make on the map.

Mine is standard at the moment, however I will ask him to see what he can do for an absolute performance modification based on standard hardware (no filter, exhaust etc.)

What I will do however is give the car a clean set of plugs, oil, gearbox oil etc before doing any of this to see what a relatively fresh car can do.

Humps, you are more than welcome to come along when this gets done and do some more "road testing" on my local A road ;)

Just be careful with an intake kit as many suck in air from the hot engine bay which is not good for performance.

Cheers Spike

pummy/humps: yeah, let us know how that goes. will be good to know what the extra 8bhp does. if it just helps with a smoother low end difference between gear shifts and a slightly quicker 0-60, I'll be a happy man.

spike: Yeah will be very careful with that. which is why I'm opting for the bmc carbon kit...supposed to keep the air cooler. will also feed the air in from somewhere out front...a bit like what scott has done on here already. Looks like a good plan. I don't have the add on fog lights on mine anyway, so those spaces on the bumper look prime for this purpose!

I would have thought for performance the first thing you need to look at is some wheels which were a lot lighter than the 19's you have on at the moment. Our last car was in the 300hp club with 18s and even with the output, I was worried about the standard 18s bringing a large power drain during acceleration to the effect I was looking at some lightweight wheels to reduce the weight.

petrol A2s don't lug around an intercooler like the diesels, so that would be IMHO a starting point for air intake mods. (I'm currently using a bit of that space with a larger horn). Apart from fresh cold air, being at the front , it should have better pressure too as the car speeds up.

Pummy, I'm sure you will wip up a DIY panel filter to slot in that space ;-)

19 inch wheels on an A2? Do you have a spine left?! The ride must be somewhat on the firm side!

dan: hell yeah, the ride is painful at times, especially with the increasing number of potholes around these days. been thinking of getting a softer suspension.

the wheels are the standard sport model ones, they're a bit mashed up anyway now, so pummy might have a good point downsizing them not just for the weight saving, but also ride smoothness.

the firmness is good when the road is good. when the road is bad...dude i'm in paiinnnn

Back