Wider tyres on standard 15" wheels

ndavid

A2OC Donor
I have the standard 6x15" wheels with 175/60R15 tyres. I am considering to replace them with some wider tyres but I want to keep my original wheels. Will 195/50R15, 195/55R15 or 205/50R15 fit onto it? Have somebody tried it out?

Norbert

norbs...

it's quite easy to work out for yourself, what will affect the speedo etc.

you have 175/60 x15. the 175 is 175mm wide, the 60 bit it the profile (height) but it's a percentage of the width so 1.75 x 60 = 105mm. Obviously the last bit is your rim size.

As far as I was told, as long as you keep the rolling radius the same... i.e. 105 in your case... you can change the size of your tyres... pay attention to scrubbing though, and there is a maximum size befor your rim becomes too narrow... by my calcs, 205/50R15 would give you a profile height of 102.5.

hth

bba

On the same theme, when I change tyres on my TDI 75 SE I want a little more comfort from the standard 185/50 R16s, so would a 195/55 R16 fit? This, I think, would give a little more sidewall height, therefore increasing comfort slightly, and also correct some of the speedo inaccuracy. Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to the quietest tyres? I've read a lot of good reports on this forum about Kumho tyres — are they reasonably quiet?
Thanks

richardaudi0 said:
Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to the quietest tyres? I've read a lot of good reports on this forum about Kumho tyres — are they reasonably quiet?
Thanks
I've never noticed any undue noise from the Kumho's on our car. Just about to buy some new ones - happy to use the same again!

Back