Will they go?

A2Look

Well, my new set of 17" alloys are here!

They have 225/45 R17 tyres on - the rims themselves are 7.5j ET32 to replace my 16" SE Alloys

Just wondering if the wheels would rub on the inside with being the extra bit wider, and on the arch from having a 45 profile?

Anybody have any ideas on this? The 32 means I should have the same inner clearance as standard, but bear in mind the tyre.

Advice apreciated!

Current Wheel (16") + Tyre (50) = Radius 456.4mm

Proposed Wheel (17") + Tyre (45) = Radius 476.8mm

Increase of 20.4mm over radius therefore / 2 so thats approx 10.2mm all round

Also there is an increase in width of the tyre of 20mm (or 10mm each side)

I think it might just fit in okay, but anybody have any experience of this?

Hi Spike!

theres nothing on there for 225/45's on 17"

Im thinking they will go, rear might be tight though. Im assuming the width wont be a problem by rathermore the profile '45' tyre.?

Hi A2Look
Have you searched the 'wheel and tyre' section, for the last 100 days. I remember Skipton01 giving advice on tyre size and wheel offsets etc. His new tyres just to say rubbed the rear inner arches which suggest he has the optimum size fitted.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike,

A2Look, I've already spoken to you on this matter via PMs - as you have the wheels with the tyres on them presently, I'd fit 2 (probably the rears - non-drive, non-steering, safest bet) and go for a slow and steady run.

If all's well, then put the fronts on and go for an even more cautious run.

Apply full lock only at walking speeds and have the window down to listen for rubbing noises.

Then, when you're satisfied, take the wheels off and inspect the arches for signs of rubbing - it's the only way really.

Cheers,

Mike

Back