wiper arm problems!

cjscos

i am trying to replace the wiper arm as its worn but the thing wont come off!:mad::mad::mad:

how can i get it off without damaging the threads?
i have given it a small tap and pull but with no luck...

someone has tried before and damage the nut that hold it on and bent the threads a little so i will be filing the threads and getting a new nut hoping it will go back on!:eek:

if you mean you can get the nut off but not the arm then i suggest you get a small bearing puller or similar. The arms will hook under the wiper if its small enough and it will come off with a bit of a crack. i recently replace my wiper arm for the aero wiper spec and no amount of waggling and tapping would remove it, puller was the only way.

under the thread is a small tapered spline which you effectivly force the arm over when you do the nut up so it should be on pretty tight after all you dont want it to come off when wiping, which is interesting by the way specially in a downpoor...

I had a problem with mine even though the arm had been off a few weeks earlier after having a screen put in, the first arm i pulled the arm up the screen (so 90 degrees) then pull the arm away from the screen and wiggle it abit and it came off, the smaller one was a little bit harder but with abit of giggling that came off to, good luck

Cheers Phil

Plus if you are still having problems you could pop down to Skipton Auto's as you are that way over (bit of a plug for you Mike) and i'm sure he would be glad to help

Cheers Phil

cheers. can you get pullers thats small? where from, as i have not seen really small ones that will proberly fit?

cheers. can you get pullers thats small? where from, as i have not seen really small ones that will proberly fit?

the one i had was in the garage belongs to my father. is a bit like this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=150094 << not sure whether this is good deal or anything just first example i came across. the one i used is coincidentally a facom too and looks just like that..

The one i used definately goes small enough (i was suprised) 25mm sounds like it ought to do it... Hardest thing was the thickness of the legs i had to press the plastic cowell down by hand and manouvre it a bit to get the legs under the arm and the screw to sit over the shaft. obviously the arm being not round doesnt help. Literally one turn on the spanner and it gave up with a loud crack. Had to get it on the small arm too to get that off.

EDIT ** The one spike has just posted looks much better than the one i used!**

im not saying this is the only way to get it off but if you have one handy it was sure better than waggling away and it is also what audi reccomend in the service manual if you struggle.

when you do get it off id reccommend scraping the splines out by hand with a pick before you put it back on and make sure its torqued up properly, i didnt and had a wiper with a mind of its own lol...

many thanks. they look just the job:cool:. will come in handy again as its not the first time have have had this problem with wipers..

Back