wiper speeds

G

Gaff

How many speeds for an A2 wiper (ignoring the variable adjustment)?

On the stick I get:
- off
- pretty slow (drizzle OK)
- medium (rain OK, but not quite good enough for downpour or motorway use)
- off

Should there be a fast speed like on cars that have the luxury of twin blades?

GA

On the stick I get:
- off
- pretty slow (drizzle OK)
- medium (rain OK, but not quite good enough for downpour or motorway use)
- off

Are you saying that on the third position, the wipers are off?

If so, that is not right and I suspect a dodgy relay.

For more effective rain dispersal, use RainX - it makes wipers completely un-needed above 40mph!

Cheers,

Mike

If I'm not mistaken the intermittent function is also related to vehicle speed on the A2. Thus there are far more speeds than you think in intermittent mode. When you come to a stop the delay is longer and becomes quicker between swipes the faster you drive. I never realised how great this is until I had a Ford Mondeo courtesy car. It had 6 speeds on the toggle on its wiper stalk BUT each speed was a fixed speed. So when you came to a stop they were always too fast. I was forever using the toggle to get it right. On the A2 they are always just right in my view...

All I miss though is something like what you get on a BMW: if the wipers are ON (not on intermittent) they automatically revert to intermittent when you stop at a traffic light and revert back to ON when you set off again...

But then the best system out there is proper rain sensing wipers. I had it on a Golf V5 and loved it. That is really set and forget.

Are you saying that on the third position, the wipers are off?

If so, that is not right and I suspect a dodgy relay.

For more effective rain dispersal, use RainX - it makes wipers completely un-needed above 40mph!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks!
Fast wipe just does "return to base".
You wouldn't know where the relay is?

GA

It's in the passenger footwell (RHD models) and is a double width relay marked '603' or '602'. A replacement is £25.64, but if you can, try a known working one to rule out a broken switch or wiring fault.

Cheers,

Mike

Me thinks people are having wiper trouble!

I used mine on fastest intermitent and they were fine in anything but a deluge round town, can't ever recall using the 'deluge' setting at all! very strange that one!!!

Mike

>If so, that is not right and I suspect a dodgy relay.

It's in the passenger footwell (RHD models) and is a double width relay marked '603' or '602'. A replacement is £25.64, but if you can, try a known working one to rule out a broken switch or wiring fault.

Cheers,

Mike

Well done Mike!

You helped me solve the problem. The relay with number 602 written on it was standing proud of its socket. Once pressed in firmly the wipers work on all 3 speeds.

GA

Great stuff! Problem solved at zero cost and you now know where the relay is.

Glad to be of service.

Cheers,

Mike

why did the problem exist anyway?

The solution came from looking at a photo I took before removing the relay. There are cable lines which have pushing the relay towards the front of the car. Photo attached. Hope this helps someone else one day.

GA

Back