Wiring Loom Issue? Fault Codes Scan

Foghorn

After three attempts to get to the rear bolt that holds on the rocker cover I've had to admit defeat and leave this to an expert or enthusiastic amateur. To this end can anyone recommend a local garage South Manchester (I'm near the Airport) area or is there anyone local willing to offer assistance for a fee in addition to copious tea and biscuits? I have the loom and what I thought was plenty of tools to tackle it but my back and fingers are not compatible!

That said because the car doesn't appear to have issues with any regularity I'm still not fully convinced it is the loom so ideally the car needs to be sacnned for fault codes. The OBDII scanner I have is not throwing up any faults but I don't think it's intelligent enough to carry out a proper scan. I've tried running the car with the EGR valve vacuum pipe plugged/disconnected but that has made no difference. I'm surmising that the ASR/ABS warning lights and warning alarm flashing up are connected to the engine 'lurching' through the hesitation rather than it being some sort of brake/ABS issue?

I've detailed what the symptoms are in THIS thread.

Can anyone offer any assistance or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Tried to remove wiper assembly and air tube for better access to rear of top motor end?
That doesn't help as the access to the back bolt is between the EGR and the rocker cover. I've tried a flexi socket extender but that still doesn't all teh socket to 'fix' on the bolt and the EGR removal looks a PITA with access to the bottom screw just as bad.

That doesn't help as the access to the back bolt is between the EGR and the rocker cover. I've tried a flexi socket extender but that still doesn't all teh socket to 'fix' on the bolt and the EGR removal looks a PITA with access to the bottom screw just as bad.
If yours is tdi75 without egr cooler then removing egr( option to clean it) would be not to hard to gain access...

10 mm bit driver socket works a treat
I didn't remove the air intake or wiper motor just EGR and then lowered the engine about 12 mm

As already mentioned the EGR valve needs to come off. This mainly to enable you to torque up correctly, all the screws come outwith the EGR being removed but getting a torque wrench to work correctly via flexible joints is very difficult.

Thanks to @simufly who has run the scan this morning the faults shown are:

19561 - Valve for intake manifold flap (N239)
P3105-35-10 - Open or short to ground - intermittent
17964 - Charge Pressure Control
P1556-35-00 - Negative Deviation
18074 - PD Unit Injector, Cylinder 1 (N240)
P1666-35-10 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1
P0301-35-10 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent

Appreciate any views but this suggests injector 1 fault or perhaps the wiring from the loom going to it?

Yes I would start with inspecting the wiring multiplug as I fixed mine by removing, tightening all the contacts in the plugs and refitting the original loom and touch wood it's been fine, I have however bought a loom to keep in stock, not sure on quality but looks OK and for £16 worth having I feel

Cheers I’ve had the multiplug off and cleaned it and the intermittent fault is still there so my thoughts are the loom and whether I persevere for the fifth time and try to swap it out or let a professional do it. Getting the rear bolt out from the back of the rocker cover under the EGR valve bamboozled me last time!

Cheers I’ve had the multiplug off and cleaned it and the intermittent fault is still there so my thoughts are the loom and whether I persevere for the fifth time and try to swap it out or let a professional do it. Getting the rear bolt out from the back of the rocker cover under the EGR valve bamboozled me last time!
It's the contacts that need tightening usually that cause injector faults so cleaning helps but unlikely to fix long term. In fairness I struggled to get them out and had to super glue the plastic plugs together but touch wood it's been good for a few years now

Just to close this off I got the £20 wiring loom fitted for £100 by my local garage. It appears to have solved the problem. If I’d have known they were only going to charge me 2hrs labour I’d have given them the job from the off 🙄

Back