Xenon HID conversion

toby1

Hi chaps,

Has anyone had any dealings with www.hids4u.co.uk :confused:

Saw their name in the Sunday paper.

Any opinions either way appreciated. My dipped beam is awful since the MOT station had to adjust the beam for it to pass. I know Mike raves about gas lamps and I'm tempted.

Last edited:
Hi toby1
I don't know of anyone who has dealt with this company but their sales literature certainly reads well. As an alternative,Vagparts also sell kits (with 10% off if you have the Club discount card) and there is an HID installation guide on the forum page (if you don't already know)
Back to your own lights - dont forget they have a height adjustment thumbwheel to the left of the light switch. Hopefully the MOT guy set the lights so you can raise the dipped beam and not just make it even lower
Good quality performance bulbs also make a difference - the Philips or Osram 'plus' range came out best in the AutoExpress tests.

Cheers Spike

With winter now upon us, these lights are a massive bonus for safer driving - the amount of extra detail they pick out is nothing short of amazing.

However, do bear in mind that no kit on sale anywhere in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) is strictly speaking, road legal. There is a somewhat grey area here, but factory fitted HID systems must come complete with headlamp washers and some form of AUTOMATIC self-levelling (the manual level thumbwheel is not sufficient). There are no regulations that I know of to deal with aftermarket systems, but the general thought is that they should be treated as per factory fit.

Bear this in mind when it comes to MOT time and change back to standard bulbs before the test.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks guys.

Yes, I saw the installation guide here, but I was unaware VAG parts did a kit too. I'll have a look.

Spike, you're correct about the MOT station. The set the position to "0" on the thumbwheel and then adjusted the beam. Also have a misted n/s headlamp afterwards. Dagnammit.

However, I can't be too critical of the setting as the "0" position would assume an unladen car. The other adjustments downwards would be for greater load as the car's nose points upwards.

In any case, the output is disappointing so I'll investigate further.

Hi toby1
I have not tested the theory - but if the headlights are adjusted with the car unladen, adding the weight of a driver and front passenger may lower the beams even further. Weight in the back would raise the beams as you suggest.
I had my misting headlamps replaced under warranty many years ago but the new ones do ocasionally mist up in damp weather. Removing the lights and placing them in front of the fire for a few hours usually clears them. I know they are not hermatically sealed but pick a dry day(frosty is good) to replace them to minimise entry of moist air.

Cheers Spike

Back