XTool VAG401

In discussion on the following thread -

How good is it?
As non-VCDS alternatives go, it is one of the better ones. @Sylvester here also has one.

I use it for diagnostics and resetting spurious warning lights, it does throttle body adaptation on an AUA (if you've dealt with all of the various ECU error codes that stop this from completing), map swaps on 1.4tdi, gauge calibration (ie fuel) and a bunch of other things that you can normally only achieve if you've paid for a better subscription to VCDS giving access to Basic Settings and Adaptations. For some reason it doesn't speak to Climatronic (which is a shame) but for those issues I use VCDS lite.

Also see - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=xtool+vag401

Videos on Youtube for some extra uses on contemporary Audis such as fuel gauge calibration on a Mk I TT - broadly similar but on my early Tdi at least the instructions need to be reversed to deal with the well-known backward fuel sender issue. Also key SKC downloading and immobiliser matching - I've not tried this personally but it should work for us too.

Looks like a very good capable tool for the money! What's the process for selecting different maps (I know remapped ecus tend to come with mild option and full throttle options )

Looks like a very good capable tool for the money! What's the process for selecting different maps (I know remapped ecus tend to come with mild option and full throttle options )
Very simple with one of these - no more than about a minute if that.

Switch ignition to on position with reader plugged in.

open up Engine ECU menu. In the list of general information it will state if the engine is using code block 002 or 005.

Go to main menu. Select Log In

log in using 5-digit code (12233 if I remember) and go back to the previous menu.

Select "Code ECU"

Enter new code block (002 or 005) - whichever one it wasn't before.

Close the menu.

Switch off ignition, then turn it on again. Switch should have been completed - if needs be check the ECU thing again, the code will have swapped over.

If you don't turn the key off and on again, the ECU remains in the same code block state until you do turn the car off.

Obviously you need to use MPPS or similar ODB dongle to put a different programme into one of the code blocks, otherwise as the standard ECU code blocks are duplicated across both you will see no difference.

Does anyone know if it will re-calibrate the steering angle sensor. I've knocked mine out of line while trying to straighten the steering wheel and now can't reset it.

Back