A2 starting problem

Gregski

Hi guys,

I've not been on here for some time as the trusty A2 has been running like clockwork. Anyway, this morning I went out to start the little thing, and it didn't!

The temperature display and left hand dial lights were all out, but the right hand dial lights worked (ABS etc.)

The engine fired up and immediately stopped, as if there was an electrical problem, this is a diesel though. I checked the fuses all in tact except the cigarette lighter.

Any ideas or experiences of a similar problem?

Cheers

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
I had a simular problem with my A2, check the ground that goes from your starter to the front chassis, with all this wet and cold weather it might of corroded.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I'll see if there is anything I can do later today. I don't suppose you know of any diargrams/pictures that may be about?

Greg

Had greenflag out and they said it was immobiliser.

APOLOGIES GREG, Somehow I seemed to have edited your post instead of replying :(

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have Part of your Dash lit up and part unlit, it leads me to believe that you clocks have developed a fault. Firstly as said, I suggest to check, clean and tighten all Earthing points on the car, then see.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?8294-Electrical-A2-earth-points

Next remove clocks and check the 2 plugs are connected properly at the back of the clocks, there will be 3 plugs if you have DIS.

If this is still the issue, which I fear it will be, then your going to need new clocks, which will need reprogramming to the car, and new keys which will also need programming.

Does the immobiliser symbol continue to 'flash'? (this is the little yellow car with key symbol in the clocks)

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Serge,

Now that the car starts, there are no further problems. All the lights light up and go out as they should and car runs perfectly. Do you think I still need to check all of what you have suggested even though it seems fine?

Cheers,

Greg.

Hi Greg, Yes I think it is well worth running the checks as a fault like this will likely to return and catch you out at the most inconvenience moment. This way you would have eliminated the possible causes and you'd be one step ahead. Also if it is an earth problem it is likely to affect other circuits.

I have repaired/reprogrammed/replaced these clocks before on the A2 and know that this can become a permanent issue with the clocks with your description of fault, hence my reason to suspect them.

Cheers
Sarge

Back