Air bag - ECU no response = £500

P

phil75ip

Our York Audi dealer says that the ECU is not responding and therefore needs replacing at cost of £500! Our NOx sensor also needs replacing and the water pump is leaking (40,000m and 5 yrs old) - well put together car Audi!

Does anyone know if the airbag light/ecu fault can be rectified for less???

Thanks,
Phil

Our York Audi dealer says that the ECU is not responding and therefore needs replacing at cost of £500! Our NOx sensor also needs replacing and the water pump is leaking (40,000m and 5 yrs old) - well put together car Audi!

Does anyone know if the airbag light/ecu fault can be rectified for less???

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil, Where are you mate? I'm sure a Vag Com scan from one of us for a second opinion is wise.

SARGE

more woes

Hi there

I am in York. The airbags not working concerns me as this is a family car.

The car now has: missfire (coils?), leaking waterpump, knackered nox sensor, no airbags!

Can you suggest what I could try next?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear of your woes and let's hope to try and get you sorted for as little outlay as possible.

Sarge is right, you need to get to a VAG COM equipped A2OC member for a diagnostic scan really, as just going on the opinion of a dealer is not the best way forward necessarily.

The water pump leak is to be expected really, especially if it wasn't changed with the last cam belt change (your car has had a cam belt change I presume - it should have done after 5 years), so there's a lesson to all of us. As to getting it done for less, there are many good independant mechanics who can do the work for a great deal cheaper than an Audi main dealer - the engine is ostensibly the same as ones used in VW Polos, so there's nothing unusual or special to take into account.

The NOx sensor again is known to fail and can be changed yourself if you have a modicum of experience and a few tools. A scan will reveal what part is needed precisely.

As to the airbag controller, yours would be the first failure I've heard of, so I suspect another reason if the airbags are really not functional. A scan is the way forward and a suitably equipped member can do it for a lot less than the charge levied by a dealer. Do a search on the member googlemap for people in your area.

|Cheers,

Mike

phil,
I live in leeds and the nox sensor and coil packs on my 1.6 FSI packed in at 4-5 years old. This seams to be the standard lifespan of them.

I have a couple of spare "old but working" coils that you can try if you wish.
I also wrote a guide on here for changing the nox sensor. Happy to help you with yours if you want.
I live in south leeds near Garforth.

As for cam belt and water pump, IVC in leeds : http://www.ivcleeds.co.uk/

are the ones I would reccommend.

oh, last time I asked IVC charged £350 for cambelt and waterpump changing.
Suspect this might be nearer £400 now.

Back