(Almost) New A2 owner! About error in productio

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiv

Hi there everybody,

I've been on and off this forum over the last few months, first while deciding to order an A2 or something else and after that while waiting for it to arrive. Great forum with lots of info, thanks for all of that!

So today I got a call from my dealer. Good news and bad news, the guy said.
And so it was!

My car had been delivered, all options installed, license plate requested, chiptuning was under way, BUT
all of a sudden a clever technician noticed that the climate control was missing!!!

A few calls later the dealer found out that about 10 to 15 A2's had been delivered to the Netherlands without the CC, even though they should have had it. An error in their production line, they said. OR something like that. How can you build an SE specced ("Exclusive", in Holland) without CC? That's so stupid!

Why me?! I wan't to drive this A2! I planned my holiday with the A2. Now nothing will come together and it will take at least another 6 weeks for the factory to build a new one (they were NOT going to retrofit the CC, they said).

I am so incredibly frustrated right now....

Hope you don't mind that this story has to be my first post...

Well. Back to waiting....

Edo

Hi Edo,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your bad news, however I wouldn't accept their statement that they are not going to retrofit it. This is isn't your problem, therefore you should insist they do something immediately. Technically speaking, you could retrofit the cc, however its just the man hours required that is putting AUDI off, especially when the dealer will badkcharge them. The system cost itself would cost around £300 to AUDI, plus labour (say 3 days min) of £1200, gives a nice little total of £1500's worth of money your saving AUDI for accepting to wait another 6 weeks. Make sure you are well compensated for the delay. I think at least 50% of this is far dont you?

Kaine

Edo

Welcome-sorry it wasn't under better times!.

A bit of a mess up-I wonder what other customers are doing/receiving in compensation etc?.

Whilst I agree with Kaine on the money front, if it was me I wouldn't want some annoyed Audi dealer retro-fitting the CC. OK, it may not be a huge job, but any noise, issue, problem you get you'll be thinkg "is it related to poor install of the CC equipment". Personally I would rather wait for a factory fresh A2 and demand suitable compensation.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. I was actually trying to imply to ask for compensation rather that retrofitting the cc. The problem is that if you just accept the fact they wont retrofit, and you have to wait another 6 weeks, usually means you are happy without any compensation - thats what the dealer will imply by himself. Its like game of Poker sometimes :)

Kaine

Sterkte wij hebben dr een met climate control het is het wachten waard.

Jeff Huisman
yoyoman.jpg

2000 silver coloured A2
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe5.htm

Edo

Remind the dealer that it does not take 6 weeks to build an A2 - probably nearer 6 hours than 6 days. The bulk of the period is waiting for the allocated slot in the production line. As this is their mistake what are they doing to get an earlier production slot and if they are not why arn't they etc.etc.

Use it as part of the argument for compnesation.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

I'd be gutted and that length of time for a replacement is not acceptable. As mentioned above, press for an immediate production slot + compensation

[img=left]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adriancharles/a2ade.gif[/img=left]Ade
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
UK Owners Page 24
s.gif
My Home Page
s.gif
Mail me

Audi A2 1.4SE (2003): Azure Blue
s.gif
Build Wk40/2002
Factory fit: OpenSky
s.gif
Climate
s.gif
Driver Information System
s.gif
Acoustic Parking
s.gif
Lumbar Adjustment
Retrofit: Rear Cup Holder
s.gif
2003 Wiper
s.gif
Rear Door Blinds
s.gif
Centre Tray
s.gif
Elasticated Belt
s.gif
Grille Strips

Slightly going off topic but... does anyone know roughly how long A2's are taking to get to the UK at present from order to delivery? Our's took 11 or 12 weeks last year.

Zwaar klote man, ik begrijp je probleem. Vraag om korting ofzo of wat extra's bij je A2. Je dealer zal vast wel een aardigheidje voor je in petto hebben.

Some think I am genius,
Others just can't think...

Kaine-true-aim high then take what they offer if it's reasonable!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Thank you, everybody for your kind remarks and good suggestions!

I've spent yesterday evening, thinking about what the next step should be. I've spoken to friends that share your ideas...

So far, the dealer hasn't rung me back yet. That surprises me, because he seemed so keen on 'getting the best for me'.
I'll probably visit them tonight, since they're open till 2100 on thursday. This works better in person.

Personally, I have a hard time accepting another long wait. So I'm inclined to accept the car without CC and force them to retrofit it. However, the dealer waved that option at first, since the firm that imports the car didn't want that. They were afraid of problems the fitting.

I can imagine that last bit. Another thing I do not want is rattling dashboards because of the disassembly. Other problems however are not of my concern. The dealer can and should take care of that.

So if the dealer doesn't want this retrofitting stuff, I'll have to go with their own suggestion: provide me with a replacement vehicle, at least for my holiday.
The way in which that is taken care of also depends on my lease-company. I could see the leasecompany push me into a plain Peugeot 206 and charge me for it as well. Then I'd rather stay in my trusty 1992 Honda Civic.
But if the dealer can arrange something with A2 internal size, and a diesel, at no extra cost for me, then that should be fine. It's just that I don't like going on holiday with cars I don't know too well.

Phew. What a mess. So many decisions and so little information on what is really possible.

If only they'd say: we'll push a new A2 forward in production, it will be here in 3 weeks.

I'll keep you all posted!

I'd ask the dealer to pull a demo or 2nd hand A2 off their fleet/stock and loan you that. Only seems fair.

quote:Originally posted by maersk

Chip tuning? Is that by the Audi Dealer?
If so how many Euro?

Yes indeed, that an option that (all?) Audi dealers in the Netherlands provide. With warranty even. So that was a good thing for me, because it got accepted by the lease company without a fuss.

Price for the 1.4 Tdi was 879 euro.
A ridiculous price of course, but at least it's done 'correctly'.

Doesn't provide the max, but is supposed to take the 75 bhp to 95 and torque to mid 200's. I am really curious about it, because I didn't even testdrive the diesel, just the petrol version. Not too familiar with diesels either, btw, let alone this small 1.4 3 cylinder...

So this option isn't available everywhere, is it?

quote:Originally posted by runboy

I'd ask the dealer to pull a demo or 2nd hand A2 off their fleet/stock and loan you that. Only seems fair.
I think they were going that way, yes. But this evening I spoke with my own salesguy and he remained vague as to what kind of car they were providing. "Something appropriate", and with my addition: "with diesel and airco at least".

We'll see. At least I now know that:
1. my current car will return to Germany, no matter what
2. car #2 has already been ordered. No arrival date yet.

Right now I got my dealer to ask the importing agency about a alternative arrangement. I thought that if I provide my own temp transport (with the leaseco.), that they could do something in return by adding one or more nice options to my car. Like 17 inch rims after all, or fog lights, or the extended dash computer/info system. I hope they go for the 17 inch s-line alloys. I love those. Seems like I can't be happy with anything ;)

I'm going to discuss the temp lease car tomorrow at work. Should be possible.

BTW, the salesguy thought that car#1 was still somewhere in their (kinda large) complex, shared with a VW dealer. We walked around for several minutes, only to find out that they had already brought it back to some gathering point. Bummer! Would have been nice to at least see something, as a warming up[8D]

Swiv

Always do the negotiating in person AND when they are BUSY - remember they do not want other customers to know that they, or Audi, ****ed up.

Ian

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control.
Why are NEARLY all the A2s in Lichfield are silver ? ? ?

quote:Originally posted by A2rijder.nl

Swiv, sorry it happed to you. This is what you call a HUMAN ERROR[4].

[}:)](i`ve got a tuned 1.4 TDI. it drives great!!)[}:)]
Human error...I wonder. It took a human to discover it, but my best guess is that there was some software along the line that screwed up. As usual.... (I know how my programming is, and sometimes things don't go as expected ;)

BTW, saw your black (well, dark) A2 and I like it a lot. Good to hear that a tuned Tdi drives so well.

I hope the dealer offers me your rims too, although the 16" look great too, IMO.

Have they given you a reasonable timeframe for a newly built A2? If so I'd get your dealer to supply written confirmation and then write back saying that if it isn't there to the exact spec agreed (your inital spec plus the compensation) that you'll either cancel the order and demand a full refund, or further compensation along with your vehicle.

I wonder if a man putting in the CC in the factory felt a bit ill and had an afternoon off - and nobody took his place to fit the CC units!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back