Are Audi wheels this bad?

NoDuff

:mad:
I've had this A2 from new. There's been no prob's with it until last December when I had the two front tyres replaced (Pirelli's). The car went back to the fitters on three occasions in rapid succession as I thought that the wheels weren't balanced - I was getting a mild judder through the steering at speeds between 55 and 75 mph. After negating the wheel balancing theory, I took it to my local dealership (Gilders, Sheffield). They initially thought it was two faulty 'stepped tyres' which they replaced (wrong!). Then it was the F/O/S wheel bearing -replaced under warranty (wrong!). They've now replaced all four tyres and the 'judder' is still there - and I'm paying for the privelidge! Audi are now saying that three out of four of my rims have become 'warped' (they are the standard fit 16" SE 5-spoke alloys). I know the roads around Sheffield are c*@p, but are they bad enough to warp three out of four alloys? There isn't a mark on them. Any suggestions as to the fault would be appreciated

I've had this A2 from new. There's been no prob's with it until last December when I had the two front tyres replaced (Pirelli's). The car went back to the fitters on three occasions in rapid succession as I thought that the wheels weren't balanced - I was getting a mild judder through the steering at speeds between 55 and 75 mph. After negating the wheel balancing theory, I took it to my local dealership (Gilders, Sheffield). They initially thought it was two faulty 'stepped tyres' which they replaced (wrong!). Then it was the F/O/S wheel bearing -replaced under warranty (wrong!). They've now replaced all four tyres and the 'judder' is still there - and I'm paying for the privelidge! Audi are now saying that three out of four of my rims have become 'warped' (they are the standard fit 16" SE 5-spoke alloys). I know the roads around Sheffield are c*@p, but are they bad enough to warp three out of four alloys? There isn't a mark on them. Any suggestions as to the fault would be appreciated
There is a road out of Sheffield that goes to the M1 (can't remember the number offhand), that has a section of absolutely terrible bumps every couple of yards - I've warped a wheel on there and it's entirely possible that you have done the same.

Cheers,

Mike

There is a road out of Sheffield that goes to the M1 (can't remember the number offhand), that has a section of absolutely terrible bumps every couple of yards - I've warped a wheel on there and it's entirely possible that you have done the same.

Cheers,

Mike

That would be Sheffield Parkway which runs out of Sheffield City Centre down to Junction 33 on the M1. They are resurfacing it now (finally) it was terrible for bumps and could easily buckle a wheel on anything other then a bus.

As a side note, I would be interested to know who the OP has been dealing with at PGA (Peter Gilder Audi) in Sheffield as I also use them.

Last edited:

Warping those rims shouldn't be so easy. Also, when fitting the new tyres any decent tyre fitter should notice at least ONE out of the three not being quite true when balancing them.

I also use PGA (Peter Gilder Audi) in Sheffield. Are you a local?

Hi NoDuff,

I live at Handsworth, Sheffield and in the last 3& half yrs I've been driving my A2 up and down the parkway and around pot hole city I've yet to warp a wheel. ( Better not speak too soon though ). And also theres not many roads left in Sheffield that hasn't got a speed hump on it - they dont help things either !!!

Back to the juddering, take it gilders have checked all the suspension mounting rubbers etc, and anti roll bar mountings ? Have the drive shafts been damaged causing them to go out of balance at a certain rev range ?

Have you tried having the wheels balanced whilst on the car ( balances the wheels and hub together as one complete unit ).
I know in the past some cars you could do this with but don't know about the A2's .
With on car balancing , when you remove a wheel you have to put it back on in the same position it came of, otherwise it unbalances everyhing.
Have you tried putting the rear wheels onto the front and see if that makes a difference?

Let us know the outcome.

wheel balancing in sheffield

This has been the bane of my life...

...when the car was under warrantly, I let the dealer do it, who is now only the VW dealer, they always did a good job, Hayseldens in Donny.

Since then the best wheel balance I've had (and I'm just about to go back to have my new tyres done) is this old bloke called George, at Neepsend tyres.

He works for himself, and is the only person who's ever managed to balance mine and leave no judder.

I've just had a pair of tyres fitted by National, and I've been back twice and they are kak, old man george, here I come.

I work in Sheffield, and travel up and down the bumpy parkway every day, for the last 4 years.

wilse

Hi NoDuff,

I live at Handsworth, Sheffield and in the last 3& half yrs I've been driving my A2 up and down the parkway and around pot hole city I've yet to warp a wheel. ( Better not speak too soon though ). And also theres not many roads left in Sheffield that hasn't got a speed hump on it - they dont help things either !!!

Back to the juddering, take it gilders have checked all the suspension mounting rubbers etc, and anti roll bar mountings ? Have the drive shafts been damaged causing them to go out of balance at a certain rev range ?

Have you tried having the wheels balanced whilst on the car ( balances the wheels and hub together as one complete unit ).
I know in the past some cars you could do this with but don't know about the A2's .
With on car balancing , when you remove a wheel you have to put it back on in the same position it came of, otherwise it unbalances everyhing.
Have you tried putting the rear wheels onto the front and see if that makes a difference?

Let us know the outcome.

Hello, welcome to the forum! Where in Handsworth are you? (Near the Asda?) Maybe we should have a mini A2 meet!

Hi A2Look

I live down from Asda near the White Rose Pub. Look forward to a mini A2 meet sometime. I'm now the proud owner of a new NSF wheel bearing --- eventually !!!!!

Me thinks me has seen it! I'm pretty sure I was was parked next to it at the Shell Station on Handsworth Road!
It probably was ours as the missus usually fills up there.
If it was cobalt blue, scratched front alloys, shopping trolley dent in O/S tailgate and a seven year olds hand prints on the OSR passenger window , then yes it was mine/ours.
You must live nearby then??
Do you have your own VagCom diagnostic kit ????? If so, lets meet up !!!

Cheers,
Bob.

It probably was ours as the missus usually fills up there.
If it was cobalt blue, scratched front alloys, shopping trolley dent in O/S tailgate and a seven year olds hand prints on the OSR passenger window , then yes it was mine/ours.
You must live nearby then??
Do you have your own VagCom diagnostic kit ????? If so, lets meet up !!!

Cheers,
Bob.

Hehe, not toooo far from you no!
We should buy a VAG COM for the Sheffield users!

Hi A2 Look

Just off down South for 3-4 days - if the A2 makes it !
Will look into that idea when i get back.
Contact you then.

Cheers for now.

Bob.

That would be Sheffield Parkway which runs out of Sheffield City Centre down to Junction 33 on the M1. They are resurfacing it now (finally) it was terrible for bumps and could easily buckle a wheel on anything other then a bus.

As a side note, I would be interested to know who the OP has been dealing with at PGA (Peter Gilder Audi) in Sheffield as I also use them.

The 'Service Manager' (I think his name is 'John') was looking after my problems. They've had the car for three weeks in total and couldn't sort it. I don't think i'll be usng them again. Sorry for delay in reply - been on Hols'

I think they're after some more business! - Not a chance. They had the car three weeks and I think it's worse than it went in!.... Cheers.

Warping those rims shouldn't be so easy. Also, when fitting the new tyres any decent tyre fitter should notice at least ONE out of the three not being quite true when balancing them.

I also use PGA (Peter Gilder Audi) in Sheffield. Are you a local?
Yep... Live in S6

Hi NoDuff,

Let us know the outcome.
Yo dude... Thanks for the input. I don't think PGA have looked at all these factors. At the moment I wouldn't trust 'em to sit on the toliet the right way around. I'll take it to another garage that's been recommended. If it gets sorted I'll ket you know....

This has been the bane of my life...

...when the car was under warrantly, I let the dealer do it, who is now only the VW dealer, they always did a good job, Hayseldens in Donny.

Since then the best wheel balance I've had (and I'm just about to go back to have my new tyres done) is this old bloke called George, at Neepsend tyres.

He works for himself, and is the only person who's ever managed to balance mine and leave no judder.

I've just had a pair of tyres fitted by National, and I've been back twice and they are kak, old man george, here I come.

I work in Sheffield, and travel up and down the bumpy parkway every day, for the last 4 years.

wilse
Looks like I'll try 'George' then. Funnily enough national tyres are the outfit who fitted my tyres whilst the car was at PGA (Sheffield). Is there a pattern emerging here?

Thanks for the advice... Sorry for delay in reply - been on holiday

Back